Sri Lanka Vs England Live Score (ODI)
England beat Sri Lanka by 18 runs (D/L method)
Sri Lanka 273/7 (50.0 ov) R/R 5.46
England 132/2 (27.0 ov) R/R 4.89
- Eoin Morgan 31,
- Joe Root 24
|Joe Root||not out||32||57||0||0|
|Eoin Morgan (C)||not out||31||34||3||1|
56 ( 11.2 ) R/R:4.94
Eoin Morgan 31(34)
Joe Root 24(34)
Last Wicket 76/2 (15.4 over)
Jason Roy 45 (49) S.R (91.84)
lbw b Akila Dananjaya
- We now head to a drier part of Sri Lanka, Colombo, where it has not rained for a long time. The series is done and dusted with England gaining an unassailable 3-0 series lead but the hosts can still avoid a clean sweep. We hope that the fifth and final ODI, slotted on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 2.30 pm local (0900 GMT), is a properly contested game. Do join us for that. You can also check for other matches in the meanwhile. ADIOS! TAKE CARE!
- VICTORIOUS ENGLISH CAPTAIN, EOIN MORGAN, HAS BEEN NAMED THE MAN OF THE MATCH. Is blunt about his side's performance as scrappy in this game, with the bowlers not being consistent. Agrees that Sri Lanka got to a very competitive score but at the same time, felt that the wicket got better so it was easier to blend partnerships. On his team's bowling, he feels that there was a lack of discipline today. Feels that the wicket was tacky and the bowlers could not exploit that properly, yet states that Sri Lanka did not exactly get away from them. On the approaching rain, Morgan says that he was always expecting bad weather around, hence bowled out Rashid and Moeen quickly. Admires his young attack and believes that it has shown a lot of potential. Admits that they will try and experiment with the playing XI on Tuesday, albeit that will not be at the cost of winning.
- Sri Lankan skipper, Dinesh Chandimal, manages a smile. Says that they had a much better game today. Details that after losing a couple of quick wickets, the middle order batted really well. Stresses that 273 was a winning total and had they got a full game, they would have won the match. But does not want to rue about the weather and looks at the positives from the game. On the no ball call which gave Joe Root a reprieve, the captain admits that it was his mistake. On being asked whether the tactic to bowl Malinga and de Silva before the rain came was the right tactic, Chandimal says he certainly believed so as the latter was bowling well.
- The Lankan bowlers still had a chance when they had Joe Root caught at short fine leg but it was a no ball as one fielder was less inside the ring. The score read 112 at that time, in the 23rd over. You never know what might have happened to the par score then. Please stay tuned for the presentation...
- It was a game where we saw a much improved performance from the hosts. Gritty batting, accompanied by 4 50-plus stands, saw them reach 273. England were in a spot of bother after losing two quick stands following a great start, but the unbeaten 56-run stand between Root and Morgan steadied the game. They played it perfectly, knowing well what was the DLS par score and accordingly mixed caution with aggression.
- 1638 local (1108 GMT) - THE FOURTH ODI HAS BEEN CALLED OFF. England have won the match by 18 runs, courtesy DLS method. Cannot totally say that they would not have chased down 274, but still, the Lankans did have a greater chance in a full game.
- They have arrived. As promised, they might be a little late but have surely come. Plenty of dark clouds around but the rain is not that heavy. We hope it is a passing shower. The DLS par score after 27 overs is 114.
- 26.6 FOUR! Morgan not helping Sri Lanka's cause. Picks up the length early and pulls this short ball over mid-wicket for a boundary.
- 26.5 Defended off the front foot by the batsman presenting the full face of the bat.
- 26.4 Tossed up on middle and leg, hit to mid on.
- 26.3 Defended off the back foot by the batsman.
- 26.2 Comes ahead and hits this past mid on. One run taken.
- 26.1 Full and on leg, hit to mid on.
- 25.6 Pitches this one up outside off, carved through cover-point for nothing. 127/2
- 25.5 Another snorter from Malinga. Makes Morgan rock back and sway away.