Wipeout contestant passes away after completing obstacle course on game show
Two people close to the production said the man had completed the course, after which he needed medical attention. He was declared dead on arrival at the hospital.
A contestant on Wipeout has died after completing the game show’s obstacle course, authorities and sources close to the production said on Friday.
The man in his 30s was declared dead at a hospital shortly before 7 pm on Wednesday, Los Angeles County coroner’s spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani said. The cause of death has not been released, and the man’s name was being withheld until relatives could be notified.
The reality competition show, in which contestants navigate an extreme obstacle course featuring giant balls and pitfalls that often result in spectacular crashes, ran on ABC from 2008 until 2014 and is being rebooted by TBS and production company Endemol Shine North America.
Two people close to the production said the man had completed the course on the show’s set in Santa Clarita, California when he needed medical attention. He was helped by on-site medical staff until paramedics arrived and took him to the hospital. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak publicly.
The show stopped its production on Thursday and Friday and has a planned week off next week, they said. Its contestants undergo a medical exam before competing.
“We are devastated to have learned of his passing and our deepest sympathy goes out to the family.” TBS said in a statement.
Endemol Shine released a statement saying, “We offer our heartfelt condolences to the family and our thoughts are with them at this time.”
TBS announced in April that the show would be returning, and it said in September said its new hosts would be John Cena and Nicole Byer. No premiere date had been set yet.
The death was first reported by TMZ.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
Bombay HC quashes BMC's demolition order of Kangana Ranaut's bungalow after staying proceedings in September
Bombay High Court says the act of demolition was "actuated by legal malice," adding it disapproves of authorities using "muscle power" against citizens.
Even if Shawn Mendes' music career is extraordinary, his problems are not. Thus, with In Wonder's revelations tenuous, its function is clear: to promote his upcoming album.
Soorarai Pottru, The Motorcycle Diaries, and a response to the truth-versus-fiction issue in biopics
All that matters in a biopic is whether the spirit of the subject is captured. That’s what you should base your evaluations on: basically, not the story you know but the story the film chooses to tell.