UK newspaper can delay front-page statement on Meghan Markle's legal win against them, court rules

The judge said the statement could be put on hold while the publication, Associated Newspapers, asked the Court of Appeal for permission to challenge his earlier rulings.

The Associated Press March 23, 2021 09:36:21 IST
UK newspaper can delay front-page statement on Meghan Markle's legal win against them, court rules

A British newspaper doesn’t have to run a front-page statement about the Duchess of Sussex’s legal victory until it has had the chance to challenge the order, a judge ruled on Monday.

The former Meghan Markle, 39, sued publisher Associated Newspapers for invasion of privacy and copyright infringement over five February 2019 articles that reproduced large portions of a letter she wrote to her father, Thomas Markle, after her marriage to Prince Harry.

Judge Mark Warby ruled in Meghan’s favour last month. He ordered the newspaper to publish a front-page statement highlighting the duchess’s legal victory, and said the statement should also run on the MailOnline website for a week.

The judge said on Monday that the statement could be put on hold while Associated Newspapers asked the Court of Appeal for permission to challenge his earlier rulings.

“The defendants are entitled to ask the Court of Appeal to look at their grounds and decide if those points justify the grant of permission to appeal,” the judge said. “To refuse a stay in the meantime would negate that entitlement.”

Meghan, a former star of the American TV legal drama Suits, married Harry, a grandson of Queen Elizabeth II, at Windsor Castle in May 2018. Their son Archie was born the following year.

In early 2020, Meghan and Harry announced they were quitting royal duties and moving to North America, citing what they said were the unbearable intrusions and racist attitudes of the British media.

In an interview with Oprah Winfrey that was broadcast earlier this month, the couple alleged that Meghan was the victim of racism and callous treatment during her time as a working member of the royal family.

Buckingham Palace said the allegations were “concerning” and would be “taken very seriously.”

Updated Date:

also read

Andor: Star Wars series lets go of Skywalker baggage — and is all the better for it
Entertainment

Andor: Star Wars series lets go of Skywalker baggage — and is all the better for it

Andor is still Star Wars, but it doesn’t feel overly regulated by the franchise’s rulebook. Not being tied to all the Skywalker baggage allows the show to flex its muscles a little, just when the franchise had started to atrophy.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: Marvel's tribute to Chadwick Boseman in the trailer likely to leave fans emotional
Entertainment

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: Marvel's tribute to Chadwick Boseman in the trailer likely to leave fans emotional

In the film, Queen Ramonda (Angela Bassett), Shuri (Letitia Wright), M’Baku (Winston Duke), Okoye (Danai Gurira) and the Dora Milaje (including Florence Kasumba) fight to protect their nation from intervening world powers in the wake of King T’Challa’s death.

Don’t Worry Darling review: Florence Pugh comes out as sole survivor in this car crash of a movie
Entertainment

Don’t Worry Darling review: Florence Pugh comes out as sole survivor in this car crash of a movie

Florence Pugh delivers another strong performance, but even she can’t steer the misfiring Don’t Worry Darling into a perceptive psychodrama.