Sydney's The Daily Telegraph loses appeal against Geoffrey Rush's $2 mn payout for defamation

The newspaper appealed a trial judge's ruling in 2019 that Geoffrey Rush was defamed by reports saying he had been accused of inappropriate behaviour by a co-actor 

The Associated Press July 02, 2020 10:11:57 IST
Sydney's The Daily Telegraph loses appeal against Geoffrey Rush's $2 mn payout for defamation

An Australian court on Thursday, 2 July, rejected a newspaper publisher’s appeal against Oscar-winning actor Geoffrey Rush’s $2 million payout for defamation.

Three Federal Court judges ruled that articles published by Sydney’s The Daily Telegraph newspaper in 2017 conveyed the imputation that Rush was a pervert and that the trial judge had correctly included the actor’s loss of earnings in calculating damages.

The Australian actor, who turns 69 on 6 July, did not attend the Sydney court to hear the verdict.

News Corp.-owned Nationwide News appealed trial judge Michael Wigney’s ruling last year that Rush was defamed by newspaper reports saying he had been accused of inappropriate behaviour by actor Eryn Jean Norvill. She played Rush's daughter in a Sydney theatre production of King Lear in 2015 and 2016.

The publisher also appealed against the amount of Rush’s payout, including almost AU$2 million for past and future economic loss, for two articles published in the newspaper and a billboard poster that Wigney found portrayed him untruly as a pervert and a sexual predator.

Sydneys The Daily Telegraph loses appeal against Geoffrey Rushs 2 mn payout for defamation

Geoffrey Rush. File image

David English, the newspaper’s editor, said he was disappointed by the appeals court ruling that highlighted the need for Australia to change its defamation laws.

“The Rush case exposes the inadequacies of Australia’s defamation laws and heightens the need for urgent legislative reform to enable public debate and to encourage women to come forward with their concerns,” English said in a statement.

“We will continue to report on the issues such as these which are of great concern to the Australian public,” he added.

Rush’s lawyer did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The publisher’s lawyer Tom Blackburn told the two-day appeal hearing that the trial judge “cobbled together” speculation and inference to find Rush was unable to work because of his state of mind following the publications and had fewer job offers since then.

The actor’s lawyer Bret Walker replied that Rush testified about the devastating effects the publications had on his mental state while other evidence heard during the trial supported conclusions that he was unable to work and had fewer job offers.

Rush received the best actor Oscar in 1996 for his portrayal of pianist David Helfgott in Shine and was nominated for roles in Shakespeare In Love, Quills, and The King’s Speech. He is also famed for his portrayal of Captain Barbossa in the Pirates of the Caribbean films.

He received Australia’s highest civilian honour in 2014, the Companion of the Order of Australia, for service to the arts.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Lena Dunham reveals she had coronavirus in mid-March, says her 'body revolted' during the period
Entertainment

Lena Dunham reveals she had coronavirus in mid-March, says her 'body revolted' during the period

Lena Dunham says she is opening up about her coronavirus diagnosis now because of the "carelessness with which people in the US are treating social distancing."

Courteney Cox teases return to Scream franchise for upcoming reboot through video on social media
Entertainment

Courteney Cox teases return to Scream franchise for upcoming reboot through video on social media

Filming on the new instalment of Scream is set to kick off later this year in Wilmington, North Carolina.

Pixar announces new animation film Luca, set to release in US theatres on 18 June, 2021
Entertainment

Pixar announces new animation film Luca, set to release in US theatres on 18 June, 2021

Luca revolves around a young boy living on the Italian Riviera, who shares adventures with his newfound best friend.