Entertainment

San Diego Comic-Con from 23 to 25 July will remain virtual owing to 'limited financial resources'

The San Diego Comic-Con organisers said they are planning a smaller in-person November event in the city

The Associated Press March 02, 2021 08:47:03 IST

San Diego Comic-Con will remain virtual for the July event, but organisers are planning for a smaller-scale gathering later this year.

Comic-Con announced Monday that the annual confab will return to virtual for a second-straight year between 23-25 July. The in-person experience was cancelled again due to coronavirus-related cautions around large gatherings.

Organisers said postponements and other challenges caused by the pandemic left them with “limited financial resources.” As a result, the virtual convention in July was reduced from four to three days.

However, organisers said they are planning a smaller in-person November event in San Diego. The details have not yet been released.

Comic-Con attracts more than 135,000 people — often elaborately costumed — to the Gaslamp District every year for the comic book convention.

It is not uncommon for thousands of people to gather in a single room for a panel discussion, and the exhibit hall is usually jam-packed with people perusing merchandise.

Last year, Comic-Con organisers postponed its smaller Anaheim, California-based event WonderCon, which had been set to take place in mid-April. A version of the event took place online instead.

Comic-Con organisers were slow to make any official decisions regarding their largest event, a huge money-maker for the restaurants and hotels of San Diego, and an important promotional stop for Hollywood television and films. The event is estimated to generate over $147 million for the local economy each year.

undefined

undefined

undefined

Updated Date: March 02, 2021 08:47:03 IST

Most Read

Most Read

also read

Entertainment

Govinda under home quarantine after testing positive for coronavirus, confirms actor's wife

Govinda has mild symptoms and is following Covid-19 protocol, said his wife

Entertainment

Vikrant Massey tests positive for coronavirus, reveals he's under self-quarantine

"I'm taking the prescribed medications, adequate rest and am currently doing fine," Vikrant Massey wrote in his post.

Entertainment

Fatima Sana Shaikh under home quarantine after testing positive for coronavirus

Fatima Sana Shaikh took to Instagram and said she is following all the health and safety protocols after contracting the virus.