Entertainment

Ronnie Screwvala criticises sudden spate of release announcements amid surge in COVID-19 cases

Ronnie Screwvala said he finds it 'hysterical' that people think it is safe to go to the movies' as if everything has 'magically went back to normal'.

FP Staff February 23, 2021 10:51:23 IST

Ronnie Screwvala took to his Twitter handle to share his opinion on sudden announcements of theatrical releases by several production houses.

After almost ten months of no-theatrical activity, multiple big-ticket projects including 83, Bellbottom, JhundAtrangi Re and more have announced their release dates in the last week.

Screwvala said he finds it 'hysterical' that people think it is safe to "go to the movies" as if everything has "magically went back to normal". He also asserted that there is no such thing as "herd immunity" and doesn't see going to movies safe till 300 million people in the country are vaccinated.

Read his post here

Filmmaker Hansal Mehta retweeted the same. 

Last week, Yash Raj Films recently unveiled its 2021 release slate, saying it has the "strong intent" to bring back audiences to experience films on the big screen. The movies are -- Parineeti Chopra and Arjun Kapoor-starrer Sandeep Aur Pinky Faraar, Bunty Aur Babli 2, Ranbir Kapoor's Shamshera, Jayeshbhai Jordaar starring Ranveer Singh, and Akshay Kumar's Prithiviraj.

With the COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent lockdown last year, many films were released directly on streaming platforms. However, with the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting allowing 100 per cent occupancy in multiplexes and cinema halls from 1 February, studios are now hopeful that the audience will be back to theatres to watch films on the big screen which will eventually revive theatres.

Meanwhile, coronavirus cases in India registered an increase with the country recording 14,264 new cases, taking the total tally to 1,09,91,651, according to Union health ministry data updated on Sunday, 21 February.

Updated Date: February 23, 2021 11:01:16 IST

Most Read

Most Read

also read

Entertainment

Siddhant Chaturvedi tests negative for COVID-19; urges fans to 'keep distance' amid pandemic

On 14 March, Siddhant Chaturvedi has said he had contracted #coronavirus and was quarantining at home

Entertainment

Master director Lokesh Kanagaraj admitted to private hospital after testing positive for coronavirus

Lokesh Kanagaraj shared the news on Monday evening via a tweet: 'I will be back soon and stronger'

Entertainment

Govinda under home quarantine after testing positive for coronavirus, confirms actor's wife

Govinda has mild symptoms and is following Covid-19 protocol, said his wife