Palat..Palat...Palat: As DDLJ finishes the last lap at Maratha Mandir, a look at its iconic lines
For all Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge fans, today was end of an era. After a successful 1009 week run (over 19 years) at Mumbai's Maratha Mandir theatre in South Mumbai, the iconic Bollywood film was screened for the last time on Thursday morning.
While this has left many fans of this 90's cult-romantic film upset, it has also stirred old memories for many of us at Firstpost newsroom. While there are a few who have not even seen this film (can you believe it?!) most of us remember every scene and every dialogue by heart. When we asked our Twitter followers what was their favourite dialogue from the film, we got an overwhelming response. So, as Maratha Mandir bids farewell to this cult film here is a look back at the most popular and fun dialogues from the film.
1. Fail hona aur padhai na karna, ye humare parivaar ki parampara hai: Now, if only you had a father like that, who would open a bottle of champagne and celebrate after you flunked your exams and as a present he would have allowed you to take some time off so that you can go on a Europe tour, how wonderful would life be?!
2. Agar woh mujhse pyaar karti hai, to paltegi. Palat... Palat... Palat: See that's how easy it is to test someone's feelings for you. Let him/her walk away, if that person turns back and looks at you then he/she surely loves you. However, the success rate of this method in real life is zero percent.
3. It's okay Senorita, bade bade desho mein, chhoti chhoti baatein hoti rehti hai: This is by far most popular choice of our Twitter followers and the first DDLJ dialogue that comes to our minds when we think of this film. Be it school or college, the filmy keeda in you might have compelled you to blurt out this line at some point in your life. Isn't it? We know Barack Obama loves this dialogue, he even used it in his speech during his India tour.
4. Aao Aao Aao: The right way to draw pigeons' attention was first pointed out by Amrish Puri in this film. In fact, for some reason Amrish Puri was almost like Bhagyashree from Maine Pyaar Kiya as far as his kabutar obsession went. However, it was Shah Rukh Khan who pointed out how to save a pigeon who has been shot at. 'Desh ki mitti' seemed to be the magical cure for the poor bird. We are extremely glad that Khan didn't choose to become a veterinary doctor.
5. Aisa pehli bar hua hai satra athra saalon mein: If you manage to take your attention away from Kajol's unibrow, you would realise this corny poem is where Kajol's character (Simran) describes her dream man. The dream man happens to be a super flirty and hairy-legged (Raj) Shah Rukh Khan. Such are things that makes a Bollywood romance.
6. Akhir ek Hindustani hi Hindustani ke kaam aata hai: This could be the bonding sentiment of all NRIs however, in this film, Raj proceeds to ransack Simran's dad's store and run away with beer bottles soon after. So, if someone ever says this, especially during a foreign trip, make sure you don't trust that person much.
7. Tumhari aankhein mujhe mere dadima ki yaad dilati hai: Here is one pick up line that will never work unless you are Shah Rukh Khan and can strum a guitar like a dream and have a collection of cardigans that would make Woody Allen envious.
8. Main ek baar phir train chhodna nahi chahti.: You will only understand this feeling if you tried to board a Virar local at office time and failed to push your way through. #Truestory.
9. Le jayenge le jayenge dilwale dulhaniya le jayenge: This, as you might have already guessed, isn't really a dialogue but a song. Raj sings it while playing antakshari with Simran and her family in the film. In a way, it is also a beautiful tribute to the song from which the film borrows its title.
10. Ja Simran ja, jee le apni zindagi: Last but not the least, Varun Dhawan, please listen up, not matter how many tears you shed while watching this scene, your Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhaniya will never be anything like this 90's romance that taught us how to 'fall in love'.
Updated Date: Feb 20, 2015 12:43:11 IST