Oscars 2018: After Kevin Hart's exit as host over anti-gay tweets, Academy may go with something 'SNL style'
After comedian Kevin Hart stepped down as the host of the Academy Awards 2019, the Academy is looking at multiple options for the ceremony. As per Variety, the sudden departure left the Academy blindsided and the producers will meet on Tuesday to ideate on the same.
The publication suggests that the Academy has been tossing around several ideas, including going the host-less route, and go with something 'SNL style,' where a number of celebrities come together. The report also said that the Academy was unsure about giving the baton to someone who could be considered edgy or “off the cuff," adding that the officials are in dire straits to find a solution before the gig on 24 February.
Hart, who was ceremoniously declared to emcee the Academy Awards, decided to relinquish from his host duties for the 91st Academy Awards ceremony after his tussle with the Academy over apologosing for his earlier anti-gay tweets, which recently resurfaced online. Along with the announcement, he also apologised to the LGBTQI community for his "insensitive words" in the past.
Hart had earlier refused to apologise for his homophophic statements, despite the Academy's ultimatum. "The reason why I passed is because I have addressed this several times. This is not the first time this has come up. I have addressed it. I have spoken on it. I have said where the rights and wrongs were." he had said in an Instagram video.
Updated Date: Dec 11, 2018 10:35 AM