Nick Carter responds to rape charge by Melissa Schuman: She 'didn't indicate it wasn't consensual'

Nick Carter says he’s “shocked and saddened” by accusations made by a singer who said he raped her about 15 years ago.

AP November 23, 2017 10:59:41 IST
Nick Carter responds to rape charge by Melissa Schuman: She 'didn't indicate it wasn't consensual'

Nick Carter says he’s “shocked and saddened” by accusations made by a singer who said he raped her about 15 years ago.

Nick Carter responds to rape charge by Melissa Schuman She didnt indicate it wasnt consensual

Nick Carter was accused of rape by Melissa Schuman. Carter is the latest in a long list of celebrities accused of sexual assault. Getty

Melissa Schuman of the girl group Dream wrote in a blog post earlier this month that she was “forced to engage in an act against my will.” She said the Backstreet Boy took her virginity when she was 18 and he was 22.

“I am shocked and saddened by Ms. Schuman’s accusations. Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual,” Carter said in a statement released on 22 November. “We went on to record a song and perform together, and I was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally.”

Dream was signed to Sean “Diddy” Combs’ Bad Boy Records in the earlier 2000s and produced the hit 'He Loves U Not'. Schuman wrote that Carter invited her to his apartment and assaulted her against her will. She said she “felt scared and trapped. He was visually and clearly growing very angry and impatient with me. I couldn’t leave.”

She said she tried to speak up after the incident, but that she didn’t “have the money, the clout or access to an attorney who was powerful enough to stand up against my abuser’s legal counsel.”

“I feel I have an obligation now to come forward with the hope and intention to inspire and encourage other victims to tell their story. We are stronger in numbers,” she wrote.

Carter said Wednesday “this is the first that I am hearing about these accusations, nearly two decades later.”

“It is contrary to my nature and everything I hold dear to intentionally cause someone discomfort or harm,” he said.

The Backstreet Boys launched a residency in Las Vegas this year and have concert planned for next year.

Updated Date:

also read

The White Lotus, Mike White's six-episode HBO series, offers sardonic take on class privilege
Entertainment

The White Lotus, Mike White's six-episode HBO series, offers sardonic take on class privilege

The White Lotus could use more attention to the downstairs half of its upstairs-downstairs story; it flicks at but doesn’t really explore the lives of the Native Hawaiian staff busing tables and performing dinnertime rituals.

Explained: Dwayne Johnson's decision to not appear in Fast and Future movies, his beef with franchise star Vin Diesel
Entertainment

Explained: Dwayne Johnson's decision to not appear in Fast and Future movies, his beef with franchise star Vin Diesel

Here's charting the feud between Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel, after the latter recently confirmed he won't appear in the tenth and eleventh Fast & Furious movies.

Black Keys' Dan Auerbach to make directorial debut with documentary on Grammy-winning New Orleans musician Dr John
Entertainment

Black Keys' Dan Auerbach to make directorial debut with documentary on Grammy-winning New Orleans musician Dr John

Dr John was known as the funky New Orleans “night-tripper” musician who blended several musical styles with a hoodoo-infused stage persona and gravelly bayou drawl. He was a six-time Grammy winner and Rock & Roll Hall of Famer who was a white man that found a home among Black New Orleans musicians.