Ness Wadia FIR: Here is what Preity Zinta's told Mumbai Police
The Mumbai police is likely to re-record the statements of Bollywood actress Preity Zinta, who filed a complaint on Thursday against Kings XI Punjab co-owner, businessman Ness Wadia, alleging that he molested, abused and threatened her inside the Wankhede stadium during an IPL match against the Chennai Super Kings.
"We want further information on certain points like the exact place they were in when the incident took place, because, we did not find their seats in the CCTV footage. They are seen in the front part of the stadium cheering, but not at the back where the incident allegedly took place" a senior police officer told Firstpost on condition that he not be named.
"We have contacted her lawyer to get in touch with her as her number is switched off", the officer said, adding that they had also contacted the two witnesses named by Zinta in her complaint. "The witnesses will come on Monday or Tuesday to record the statements. Since Saturday and Sunday were holidays, nobody was there at the BCCI and IPL offices."
Police sources added that Zinta had left the country.
The police has registered an FIR against Wadia under IPC sections 354 (Assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty), 504 (Intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace), 506 (Punishment for criminal intimidation) and 509 (Word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman) on the basis of Zinta's complaint.
Here are excerpts from the complaint:
1. I am one of the co-owners of the cricket team 'Kings XI Punjab' which is a Franchise of the Indian Premier League (i.e. twenty-over based cricket tournament,) which has been held every year for the last 7 years.
2. I declare that I have known Mr Ness Wadia for the last 10 years and was in a relationship with him which ended some time ago. Although we are the co-owners of our team 'Kings XI Punjab', we are no longer in a relationship and only talk for professional reasons.
3. We have not been talking to each other for some time now following a few heated arguments regarding work. During those arguments time he tried to abuse me, used extremely derogatory language and behaved in a manner that shamed me in front of my colleagues, friends and family. I verbally warned him then and told him that I was not comfortable with such behaviour. Despite this however, he persisted, and finally I wrote a personal mail to him and warned him to stop behaving in a manner which would harm and degrade my character and shame me.
4. I say that there was also a similar incident during the IPL player auction held in Bangalore, when he insisted that I sit beside him at the auction table. When I replied that I would be sitting beside the coach, he got very angry, used derogatory language and fought with me in public at the dinner. His bad behaviour continued on the second day of the auction where he screamed at me publicly saying, "Who the hell do you thing you are? I'm the Wadia group and you are nobody" and also insulted me by saying other things, like 'f**king bitch, whore etc.' This really shocked me as I had never expected him to behave in this fashion at an event like that.
His bad behaviour continued until the Chief Executive Officer of the Indian Premier League intervened and told us to stay quiet. During the break however, Mr Ness Wadia continued his bad behaviour and was abusing and screaming at me until I finally threatened him that I would report him to the police, after which he finally calmed down and started acting normally.
5. I say that on 30 May, 2014 at Wankhede Stadium, where our team (i.e. 'Kings IX Punjab') was playing a match at 8.30 pm I saw Mr Ness Wadia screaming and yelling at my team staff. I intervened to settle matters, and tried to calm him down so that I could enjoy the match, as my team was playing well. But he started abusing and screaming at me, grabbed my arm and tried to pull me with his hands. As my team was playing well and I did not want to create a scene in front of everyone, I left for my seat, but he came up to me at my seat and started screaming and abusing me in front of everyone. This did not end there as he started abusing me on the ground and shouted insulting things about me in front of everyone, and used foul language by saying, "you f**king bitch, you have shown your class, f**k you, f**k you" which was demeaning to my reputation and character. Since, this happened in front of everyone in public it really disturbed me and caused immense damage to my reputation and character. Mr Ness Wadia's aforesaid behaviour on numerous occasions has embarrassed me and made me feel ashamed, especially in public.
6. I say that Mr Ness Wadia has gone to the extent of threatening me with dire consequences and attempting to intimidate me by boasting of his political clout and connections. During the match on 30th May, 2014 at Wankhede stadium in the evening Mr Ness Wadia threatened me by saying that he could make me disappear as I was a nobody and only an actress while he was a powerful person. I say that I have tried to be very normal and nice to him as I wanted peace in my life, but the recent afore-stated incident in Mumbai at the Wankhede stadium has left me shattered and in fear for my life. I immediately lodged a verbal complaint with the BCCI officials, however I maintained my calm as my team had qualified for finals, and I did not want to disturb the morale of my team.
7. I say that the constant incidents of Mr Ness Wadia abusing me and putting me to shame by talking ill about my character in public and at work and physically harming me at public places and intimidating me has caused a lot of mental and physical distress to me, and made me feel unsafe and ashamed as a woman.
8. I therefore request you to look in the matter at the earliest and as per law register an FIR u/s 354, 506 and 509 of the Indian Penal Code against Mr Ness Wadia for physically and mentally torturing me, criminally intimidating me and insulting me in public by speaking ill against my character.
Updated Date: Jun 16, 2014 18:39 PM