Malayalam actress assault case: Dileep says actress was 'good friends' with accused, while she denies claim
Breaking her silence for the first time since she was kidnapped earlier this year, a popular Malayalam actress said she has full faith in the police probe in the case.
The young actress was kidnapped on 17 February when she was travelling from Thrissur to Kochi by road, but later dumped near the house of director-turned-actor Lal, who upon hearing her harrowing experience, informed the police.
In a written statement issued in Thrissur by the actress and her family, she said she had not spoken about the incident till now, on the police's instructions.
"Now, this news has again surfaced in the media and lots of things are happening, and hence I decided to share for the first time with you (media). The case probe is going on very well and I am fully satisfied with it. I have shared everything with the police. It was done neither to implicate anyone or to allow anyone to escape, and I have never named anyone at all," the actress said.
She said that now some names, accused of being involved in the incident, are being heard in the public domain. "I do not have any evidence with me to say that the names that are being heard are behind the incident, nor do I have any evidence to say they are not behind it. I was saddened when I heard a remark made by an actor who said that the prime accused in the case Pulsar Suni and I were good friends, and he also mentioned that when selecting friends one should be careful. I was pained by this statement and if need be, I might even consider taking legal steps against this statement. My hands are very clear and I have only told the truth to the police," added the actress.
The actor she is referring to is Dileep, who made these allegations in an interview on TV. He came under fire for these comments.
Just last week, the abduction case turned murkier with popular Malayalam film personality Nadir Shah alleging he received a call from a close aide of Pulsar Suni, the prime accused, linking superstar Dileep to the case. He told reporters that in March he got a call from Vishnu, who asked him to tell Dileep to cough up Rs 1.50 crore.
On Sunday, the police arrested two persons for blackmailing Dileep and Shah. One of the two is Vishnu, who is alleged to have threatened Dileep and Shah to cough up Rs 1.50 crore or else he would "reveal" their role in the kidnap conspiracy. Vishnu told them there were others in the film industry who have offered him Rs 2 crore for naming Dileep in the case. Dileep had filed a petition against this in April.
On Wednesday, the actor-director duo gave their statement to police in Aluva to Additional Director General of Police B. Sandhya.
(With inputs from IANS)
Updated Date: Jun 28, 2017 19:25 PM