Malayalam actress abudction case: Disha Patani, Kalki Koechlin, Arjun Kapoor take a stand
A Malayalam actress was abducted by a group of kidnappers that allegedly also include her former driver. Here's what Bollywood had to say about it.
The recent abduction of Malayalam actress has left not only the Malayalam film industry but the Hindi film industry distraught as well. Several Hindi film actors have come out in the open to speak about the issue and express their grief for what the actor went through.
One of the most outspoken has been Disha Patani, who made her debut with Neeraj Pandey's sports biopic MS Dhoni: The Untold Story. She had been a recent victim of objectification due to her pictures in Dabboo Ratnani's celebrity calendar.
"It's easier to judge a woman on the basis of how much they cover up their skin, but it's hard to accept your own cheap mentality when you can't stop staring at inappropriate areas which you are asking her to cover. Wake up and start accepting the idea that we are not going to be anybody's idea of an 'Indian girl'," said Patani, as per a DNA report.
Other female actors who were quite vocal about the issue were Kalki Koechlin, Richa Chadha, Taapsee Pannu and Dia Mirza. Bollywood Hungama quotes Koechlin as saying, "“I feel sad and angry when I find out about any woman being abducted or attacked. It happens a lot and it is not always reported. I personally have felt safe when I travel not because I have an entourage but because regular people recognise me and look out for me if I’m getting disturbed.”
In the same report, Chadda adds, "“Just goes to show that the safety of women is an issue that transcends class. Statistics reveal the disturb truth that more often than not, perpetrators are known to the victim. The accused should be given the harshest punishment to set an example for a deterrent to these crimes in the future.”
The report quotes Pannu as saying, "This incident jolted me a bit. Usually while travelling I’m pretty careful. I in fact make sure I have my google map on all the time to check which route I am taken through. But this kind of horrific incident could’ve happened to ANYONE. It was extremely shocking.”
Mirza also expresses her disappointment in the same report, "I think this compels one to ensure at all times is that a police verification and background check is done with people we hire. Women especially must take the highest precautions to ensure their safety before hiring people to work for them.”
Other celebrities of the Hindi film industry, including Arjun Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar and Siddharth. also echoed the same concern on Twitter.
Shocked to hear about the horrifying ordeal #Bhavana went through. Wish her strength to get over it and hope all the morons are caught.
— Farhan Akhtar (@FarOutAkhtar) February 19, 2017
Standing with you #Bhavana All the strength and love in the world for you.
— Siddharth (@Actor_Siddharth) February 19, 2017
How do we make our woman safe ??? Does anyone in our government have an answer ??? Where does the change lie ?? Thru law or thru education ? https://t.co/qNrN8rnSFo — Arjun Kapoor (@arjunk26) February 19, 2017
Rajinikanth shared the song on Twitter and wrote, "For 45 years, SPB lived as my voice"
Sivakarthikeyan says lockdown allowed him to take a self-analytical journey: "I’ve never really had the chance to sit down with a cool head and analyse my career or revisit my choices"
Akshay Kumar in his post said he had gone for a morning run on the sets of Raksha Bandhan in Chandni Chowk, his birthplace