Kerala High Court rejects actor Dileep's bail plea in Malayalam actor abduction case: 'Proof that Dileep kingpin of crime'
Dileep moved Kerala High Court for bail after an Angamaly magisterial court refused to grant him the relief in the Malayalam actress assault case.
In what may come as a major setback to Malayalam actor Dileep, the Kerala High Court on Monday refused to give him bail in the case of alleged abduction and molestation of a popular Malayalam actress in February.
The prosecution opposed the bail plea claiming they have strong evidence against the actor. Dileep is facing charges of criminal conspiracy in the molestation case. However, the Malayalam superstar pleaded innocence and claimed he was being framed in the case. The actor has been booked under several IPC Sections, including 376-D (gangrape), 366 (kidnapping), 212 (wrongful confinement), 120-b (criminal conspiracy).
Opposing the bail plea, Manjeri Sreedharan Nair (Director General of Prosecution) had claimed that evidence gathered by the investigation agency had established that Dileep was the "kingpin" of the crime.
Nair had informed the court that Dileep had given the prime accused Sunil Kumar (alias 'Pulsar' Suni) Rs 10,000, and an additional Rs 1 lakh was reportedly deposited in Suni's mother's account to commit the crime, according to another Manoramaonline report.
It was on 20 July that the actor's bail plea had come up before the high court after the trial court refused him bail. The court had then reserved the judgement after hearing the bail application and the arguments from both sides. On Monday, the court refused the bail.
Dileep's 14-day judicial custody would end on Tuesday. He would be produced before the magistrate. The prosecution argued that Dileep being a high profile celebrity with lot of influence could play tamper with evidence if given bail. They had presented 19 pieces of evidence, including scientific ones, before the court to nail Dileep. Last week, the police probe team voiced confidence that it has enough evidence against Dileep.
AV George, Superintendent of Police and one of the key officials behind the probe said they would not have arrested the actor without evidence. Dileep was presently housed at the Angamaly sub-jail near his hometown Aluva as a remand prisoner.
He was arrested on June 10. The next day he was remanded to 14-day judicial custody for conspiring in the abduction and molestation of a popular actress in February in Kochi. The police had earlier arrested the prime accused Pulsar Suni and his accomplices a week after the incident.
Dileep's manager Appunny and actor-turned-director Nadir Shah were also questioned along with Dileep in June.
Appunny is on the run. He has moved an anticipatory bail which would come up for hearing later in the week.
Dileep was arrested in connection with the abduction and assault of an actress.
t was earlier reported that Kerala High Court has posted the bail hearing case of Malayalam superstar Dileep for 24 July. Now, the high court has denied bail to the actor which means that Dileep will remain in police custody.
With inputs from agencies
Mahesh Babu said he contracted the virus “despite taking all the necessary precautions”
Diljit’s standing doesn’t depend on his status in Bollywood. He is his own best judge and critic and doesn’t seek approval from anyone.
AR Rahman turns 55: 'The unknown always fascinates me. If it didn't, there wouldn't have been a Roja'
"The budgets for films are shrinking, so are the funds to compose music. So my creative vision has to be tailored to suit the altered financial state," said AR Rahman.