Farhan Akhtar did his own stunts for the first time: Ten fascinating facts about Wazir
Did you know that Wazir is an idea that producer Vidhu Vinod Chopra has lived with for many years before finally selling it to director Bejoy Nambiar.
1. Wazir is an idea that producer Vidhu Vinod Chopra has lived with for many years. Finally he sold it to director Bejoy Nambiar. Apparently Chopra showed Nambiar a cupboard full of scripts to choose from, of which he picked this.
2. Though the title is taken from the chess board and though Amitabh Bachchan and Farhan Akhtar are seen playing chess in the trailer and posters, Wazir has nothing to do with the game of chess. The title comes from the name of the film’s villain. This is the first mainstream Hindi film since Ghajini to be named after the antagonist.
3. Amitabh Bachchan and Farhan Akhtar have worked together before, but as actor and director in Lakshya. This is the first time they are working together as co-actors.
4. During the shooting of Wazir, Farhan bombarded Big B with questions about his old films, many of which were co-written by Farhan’s father Javed Akhtar. Farhan’s favourite Bachchan films are Sholay and, umm, Don. Why aren’t we surprised?
5. The film’s director Bejoy Nambiar has earlier made the high acclaimed Shaitaan and the not-so-well-received David. So this is his fifth film. Confused? Let me explain. David was actually three different stories about three different heroes named David.
6. Neil Nitin Mukesh who had played one of the Davids in Nambiar’s David assumes the role of the terrorist-villain Wazir. Neil recently played a slightly negative role in Prem Ratan Dhan Payo. In Wazir he turns into an outright villain.
7. Both Shaitaan and David got Bejoy Nambiar into trouble with the censor board. But Wazir sailed through without any cuts, 'sanskari' censor chief notwithstanding.
8. Aditi Rao Hydari, who is paired with Farhan Akhtar in the film, brings the much-needed element of sunshine and romance in the film. Her laughter was the big morale-boost on the sets. There was so much positivity on the sets that director Bejoy Nambiar decided to tie the knot with girlfriend Sheetal Menon just two weeks before this film’s release.
9. For the first time Farhan Akhtar has performed stunts on screen , and that very dangerous ones at that. Nambiar was not quite sure Farhan, with his image of the singing, romantic poet, could skid down a crowded, slippery road on a bike without breaking bones. However, Farhan insisted and made no bones about it.
10. Ironically Wazir stars two actor-singers in Bachchan and Akhtar, but neither sings in this film. It’s not the right occasion, you see.
Mythic Quest, the Apple TV+ workplace comedy from the makers of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, bares the funny truths of working in the toxic gaming industry.
David Attenborough to address political leaders at UN summit about tackling 'crippling' threat of climate change
“No better person to build momentum for further change,” British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said about David Attenborough, who has been appointed 'people’s advocate' at the November global summit.
Vanraj Bhatia, veteran music composer and Padma Shri awardee, passes away aged 93; Farhan Akhtar, Smriti Irani offer condolences
Bhatia debuted as a music composer with Shyam Benegal's directorial debut Ankur in 1974. He collaborated with Benegal for several films including Manthan, Bhumika, Junoon, Kalyug, and Mandi.