Coronavirus Outbreak: Cannes Film Festival to 'explore other options' after lockdown in France extended till mid-July
Cannes Film Festival organisers said they are exploring other options, and have started discussions with film professionals, in France and abroad.
New York: The Cannes Film Festival on Tuesday abandoned plans for a postponed 2020 edition in June or July but declined to give up entirely, saying it will explore other options.
French President Emmanuel Macron on Monday extended France’s national lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic, banning all public events until mid-July. That essentially dashed the hopes of Cannes organizers who last month said they would aim to move the annual May event a month or two.
Coronavirus Outbreak Cannes Film Festival to explore other options after lockdown in France extended till midJuly" width="1280" height="720" />
“Following the French president’s statement ... we acknowledged that the postponement of the 73rd International Cannes Film Festival, initially considered for the end of June to the beginning of July, is no longer an option,” organisers said in a statement.
“It is clearly difficult to assume that the Festival de Cannes could be held this year in its original form.”
The film industry is increasingly expecting Cannes, the world’s largest film festival and movie market, will be canceled. But the festival on Tuesday said it’s still examining other possibilities that might allow Cannes to carry on in some fashion.
“Since yesterday evening we have started many discussions with professionals, in France and abroad,” said the festival. “They agree that the Festival de Cannes, an essential pillar for the film industry, must explore all contingencies allowing to support the year of Cinema by making Cannes 2020 real, in a way or another.”
What that might entail was unclear. Several other film festivals, including SXSW and the Tribeca Film Festival, have introduced plans for virtual editions. Those festivals will host online some of their planned programming although not their most anticipated premieres.
Such a path would be seemingly inconceivable for Cannes. The French festival not only plays a larger role in the launch of films from around the world, but Cannes has long been a staunch guardian of cinema history and the theatrical experience. It has famously ruled out Netflix films from competing for its top prize, the Palme d’Or.
“When the health crisis, whose resolution remains the priority of all, passes, we will have to reiterate and prove the importance of cinema and the role that its work, artists, professionals, film theaters and their audiences, play in our lives,” said the festival.
(With inputs from agencies)
Facilitating legitimate travel a top priority: American diplomat on allowing Indian students to go to US
In view of surging COVID-19 infections, President Joe Biden authorised a travel ban for certain non-immigrants from India under a Presidential Proclamation that came into effect on 4 May
Recently, the calls to investigate further the origins of the virus have intensified. President Biden has also ordered a fresh US intelligence inquiry into the origins of the pandemic
COVID-19 updates: Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu to ease restrictions from today; India logs 1.14 lakh cases
Meanwhile, the Telangana cabinet will meet on 8 June to take a call on the extension of lockdown to contain the spread of COVID-19, among other issues, an official release said on Sunday