Bryan Singer's Red Sonja reportedly put on hold following sexual assault allegations against director
After being fired from his film Bohemian Rhapsody amid production, director Bryan Singer was roped in to helm Red Sonja. However, Millennium Films has reportedly put the development of Red Sonja on hold as outrage surrounding accusations of sexual misconduct against the filmmaker continues to mount. Red Sonja is a spin-off of Conan the Barbarian and is intended to kick off a new franchise for Millennium, one with a female lead at its center.
According to Variety, a spokesperson for Avi Lerner's Millennium Films studio said, "The project is not on the slate at the moment and is not for sale at the European Film Market in Berlin.” Millennium had plans to shoot Red Sonja in Bulgaria this year, but has dropped plans to do so, she added.
Last month, The Atlantic published an explosive account of new allegations from men accusing Bryan Singer of sexual misconduct beginning in 2014. Talking about the article, Lerner released an official statement, "“I know the difference between agenda driven fake news and reality, and I am very comfortable with this decision. In America, people are innocent until proven otherwise.” Singer, who has constantly denied the allegations, said the piece "rehashes claims from bogus lawsuits."
The movie was gearing up to begin production this year, but that’s no longer happening, and no casting has taken place. Singer has not officially been removed as director of Red Sonja, but it is no longer on the Millennium Films' slate.
Updated Date: Feb 12, 2019 15:09:33 IST