UGC permits 4-year BTech course for DU students enrolled in 2013

University Grants Commission (UGC) granted permission to Delhi University to continue with four years course for the students who enrolled in BTech and BMS in 2013.

hidden June 29, 2014 16:26:20 IST
UGC permits 4-year BTech course for DU students enrolled in 2013

University Grants Commission (UGC) granted permission to Delhi University to continue with four years course for the students who enrolled in BTech in 2013.

According to a Zee report, after scores of BTech and BMS students of DU staged a protest outside the residence of Human Resource Development Minister Smriti Irani, demanding that their four-year courses should not be scrapped, the UGC has finally permitted DU to continue with Btech course that the students enrolled for in 2013. However, according to CNN IBN tweet the decision on BMS course is pending and is likely to be taken on Monday.

Earlier the students had also threatened that if the varsity doesn't take care of their interest, they are ready to move court.

UGC permits 4year BTech course for DU students enrolled in 2013

AFP

Under pressure from UGC to act on its directive, DU has scrapped its four-year undergraduate programme (FYUP) and reverted to the previous 3-year structure.

Yesterday, the DU has also decided to discontinue its BTech and Bachelor in Management Studies (BMS) courses and would not hold any fresh admissions to them.

Hundreds of students of these two courses gathered outside Irani's residence and started shouting slogans against her and University Grants Commission (UGC).

Protesters raised slogans - "We want BTech", "We want BMS" and "UGC down down." Protesters also tried to enter the Irani's residence, but were stopped from doing so by the personnel of Delhi Police.

"We are staging protest as BMS and BTech students are getting affected so much due to scrapping of FYUP. HRD Minister and UGC should take care of our interest," Rekha, a protester, said.

Some students also sat on hunger strike outside the Irani's residence and said they will not budge till their demands were met.

PTI

Updated Date:

also read

Explained: What is the row between St Stephen’s College and Delhi University over admissions?
Education

Explained: What is the row between St Stephen’s College and Delhi University over admissions?

St Stephen’s College has said that it would give only 85 per cent weightage to Common University Entrance Test and the remaining 15 per cent will be based on interviews conducted by the college for admissions across categories. However, Delhi University has said no interviews should be held

Jailed professor GN Saibaba threatens indefinite strike unless CCTV removed from cell
India

Jailed professor GN Saibaba threatens indefinite strike unless CCTV removed from cell

His right to privacy, life and liberty is at risk because he cannot use the toilet, take bath, or change clothes in front of a camera that's running 24 hours, said his family in a letter to Maharashtra home minister

From 'Swaraj to New India'; Amit Shah to address international seminar at DU tomorow
India

From 'Swaraj to New India'; Amit Shah to address international seminar at DU tomorow

Minister for Education and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Dharmendra Pradhan will be also attending the event beginning from 12 noon on Thursday