Venezuela's Guaido to seek to annul $8.7 billion Conoco award

By Luc Cohen and Mayela Armas CARACAS (Reuters) - Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido will seek to annul an $8.7 billion arbitration award to U.S. oil producer ConocoPhillips as he moves to preserve foreign assets, Guaido's chief legal representative said on Tuesday.

Reuters April 17, 2019 03:05:25 IST
Venezuela's Guaido to seek to annul $8.7 billion Conoco award

Venezuelas Guaido to seek to annul 87 billion Conoco award

By Luc Cohen and Mayela Armas

CARACAS (Reuters) - Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido will seek to annul an $8.7 billion arbitration award to U.S. oil producer ConocoPhillips as he moves to preserve foreign assets, Guaido's chief legal representative said on Tuesday.

If accepted, the annulment request would halt enforcement of the award over the 2007 loss of Conoco's projects in the South American country. It would follow a March decision by the World Bank's International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) to impose the largest arbitration award against Venezuela.

Jose Ignacio Hernandez, who Guaido has tapped as a special prosecutor, told Reuters his team separately has challenged the amount of the ICSID award, claiming "the methodology to determine the compensation was errant."

Conoco would see no merit in a request for "annulment or rectification" and would "strongly defend" against such requests, company spokesman Daren Beaudo said.

George Kahale, a U.S. attorney who represented the Venezuelan government before the World Bank tribunal, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Venezuela's information ministry also had no immediate response to a request for comment.

An annulment would be a boost to Guaido, who in January invoked a constitutional provision to assume an interim presidency. Backed by the United States and dozens of other countries, Guaido argues President Nicolas Maduro's 2018 re-election was illegitimate. Hernandez has been assigned to protect Venezuela's assets abroad from possible seizure by creditors.

Cash-strapped Venezuela has balked at paying in other arbitration cases. Conoco has used legal seizures of Venezuelan oil assets to enforce earlier claims. Other creditors are attempting to seize shares in U.S. refiner Citgo Petroleum, Venezuela's prize overseas asset, to collect on debts.

It was unclear if Guaido's representatives have standing to challenge the award since the World Bank has not recognised Guaido. The World Bank did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

David Malpass, the newly named president of the World Bank, said last week that recognition would be up to its shareholders.

Hernandez said Guaido's legal representation "cannot be questioned."

Last month, a U.S. judge ruled that Guaido's representatives could present arguments in a court battle with Canadian mining company Crystallex, which is pursuing Citgo to collect on an arbitration award in compensation for Venezuela's expropriation of a gold mining project.

Venezuela's nationalisation wave, led by late President Hugo Chavez as part of his Socialist project, led to more than 20 international arbitration claims, which remain mostly unpaid.

(Additional reporting by David Lawder in Washington; editing by Gary McWilliams and Tom Brown)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Oil rises 2% as OPEC complies with production cuts
Business

Oil rises 2% as OPEC complies with production cuts

By Jessica Resnick-Ault NEW YORK (Reuters) - Oil prices strengthened on Wednesday, as OPEC and its allies were seen complying with a pact to cut oil supply in September, even as concerns loomed that recovery in fuel demand will be stalled by soaring global coronavirus cases. Early in the day crude was boosted by a bullish stock market. Even as equities whipsawed on pandemic worries, oil stayed higher, buoyed by expectations that OPEC could staunch a supply glut

Tesla's back-to-back price cuts bring sticker on U.S. Model S below $70,000
Business

Tesla's back-to-back price cuts bring sticker on U.S. Model S below $70,000

By Tina Bellon and C Nivedita (Reuters) - Tesla Inc will further cut the price of its Model S "Long Range" sedan in the United States to $69,420, the electric carmaker's chief executive, Elon Musk, announced in a tweet https://bit.ly/2H0JCP0 on Wednesday. The anticipated drop marks the second time this week Tesla has cut the price for the high-end sedan, following a 4% cut of the Model S's price in the United States on Tuesday to $71,990.

Trump cites teenaged son's bout with coronavirus in calling for schools to reopen
World

Trump cites teenaged son's bout with coronavirus in calling for schools to reopen

By Jeff Mason DES MOINES, Iowa (Reuters) - Under siege over his handling of the novel coronavirus pandemic, President Donald Trump on Wednesday cited what he said was his son's mild bout of the virus as a reason why American schools should reopen as soon as possible. Trump made the comment about his son, Barron, as the president swept into Iowa on a mission to shore up support in battleground states that he won in 2016 but is in danger of losing to Democrat Joe Biden barely three weeks before the election. First lady Melania Trump announced in a statement earlier in the day that the virus that struck both her and her husband had also infected their 14-year-old son