U.S. judge suspends Blackstone lawsuit against Italy's RCS over Milan HQ

MILAN (Reuters) - A New York judge has put on hold a lawsuit by U.S. private equity firm Blackstone Group LP against Italian publisher RCS Mediagroup over the disputed sale of real estate assets, pending the outcome of an arbitration in Italy.

Reuters April 25, 2019 02:05:10 IST
U.S. judge suspends Blackstone lawsuit against Italy's RCS over Milan HQ

US judge suspends Blackstone lawsuit against Italys RCS over Milan HQ

MILAN (Reuters) - A New York judge has put on hold a lawsuit by U.S. private equity firm Blackstone Group LP against Italian publisher RCS Mediagroup over the disputed sale of real estate assets, pending the outcome of an arbitration in Italy.

The case centres on RCS' historic headquarters in central Milan, which Blackstone bought from RCS for 120 million euros ($134 million) in 2013. Both companies now claim ownership.

RCS Chairman Urbano Cairo, who became RCS' controlling shareholder after the 2013 deal, has said Blackstone took control of the headquarters at too low a price, while RCS faced financial difficulties, and the transaction should be voided.

Blackstone has in turn accused RCS of falsely claiming that it still owns the property, and improperly blocked it from selling the property to Germany's Allianz SE.

Justice Saliann Scarpulla of the New York state Supreme Court in Manhattan on Wednesday put Blackstone's lawsuit on hold pending the outcome of the Italian arbitration. That process could take one year.

Aaron Marks, a partner at Kirkland & Ellis representing Blackstone, said his client would pursue its claims to the end, whether in New York or Italy.

"We are entirely confident in our legal case and have no intention of settling," Marks said in an emailed statement.

Michael Carlinsky, a partner at Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan representing RCS, said: "We are pleased with the court's decision to respect the Italian arbitration and allow it to go forward in Italy."

RCS, the owner of influential daily Corriere della Sera, launched arbitration proceedings in Milan last year to nullify the 2013 sale under Italian law.

The next hearing in that case has been scheduled for Sept. 16, according to two sources close to the matter.

In the New York case, Blackstone had argued that the planned sale to Allianz was held up by claims from RCS that the transaction was "null and void."

The dispute has alarmed some real estate investors, who have said foreign investment in Italy could suffer as a result.

($1 = 0.8963 euros)

(Reporting by Claudia Cristoferi and Silvia Aloisi in Milan; additional reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; editing by Hugh Lawson and Jonathan Oatis)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

OPEC+ sticks to plan to ease oil output cuts from May 1
Business

OPEC+ sticks to plan to ease oil output cuts from May 1

By Rania El Gamal, Olesya Astakhova and Ahmad Ghaddar DUBAI/MOSCOW/LONDON (Reuters) - OPEC, Russia and their allies will stick to plans for a phased easing of oil production restrictions from May to July amid upbeat forecasts for a recovery in global demand and despite surging coronavirus cases in India, Brazil and Japan. The group known as OPEC+ ditched plans to hold a ministerial meeting on Wednesday, four OPEC+ sources said, following Tuesday's meeting of ministers who are members of a market monitoring panel.

U.S. consumer confidence soars to 14-month high; house prices accelerate
Business

U.S. consumer confidence soars to 14-month high; house prices accelerate

By Lucia Mutikani WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. consumer confidence jumped to a 14-month high in April as increased vaccinations against COVID-19 and additional fiscal stimulus allowed for more services businesses to reopen, boosting demand and hiring by companies. The upbeat survey from the Conference Board on Tuesday, which also showed a strong increase in vacation plans, suggested the economy continued to power ahead early in the second quarter after what appears to have been robust growth in the first three months of the year, believed by many economists to have been the second strongest since 2003.

Musk trolls Bezos as space race between world's richest men heats up
Business

Musk trolls Bezos as space race between world's richest men heats up

(Reuters) - The space race between the world's two richest men went into hyperdrive on Tuesday after Tesla chief Elon Musk took a swipe at Jeff Bezos' attempt to challenge a major NASA contract. The two billionaires, who have been trying to launch long-range orbital rockets, were competing for a coveted contract from the government to build a spaceship to deliver astronauts to the moon as early as 2024. Musk won.