T-Mobile in talks with Sprint on merger, does not rule out lower price
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - T-Mobile US Chief Executive John Legere on Thursday acknowledged talks are ongoing with Sprint Corp to extend their merger agreement, but he declined to rule out requesting the $26 billion (£20.29 billion) price be reduced.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - T-Mobile US
The T-Mobile-Sprint deal, announced in spring 2018, has won regulatory approval from the Justice Department and Federal Communications Commission but faces a lawsuit from more than a dozen state attorneys general seeking to stop the deal. The previous merger agreement expired last week.
"What I can say is yes we are having conversations as partners about whether and how long we move forward the date... and what if any items should be agreed between the parties in exchange for agreeing to extend those terms," Legere said during a webcast to discuss next generation 5G wireless and other issues.
"It's not a hostile conversation. It's an active one," he said, while giving no sense of when agreement might be reached.
"It’s sort of like going to month-to-month on your rent. There’s no more lease. You continue to move forward."
Sprint said it was not backing away. "We continue to be committed to completing the merger with T-Mobile," Sprint spokeswoman Lisa Belot said in an email.
Legere said a new merger agreement's terms could entail "'How do you handle things that have happened that need to possibly to be indemnified, how do you agree on future things that you will share in order to settle the deal, etc.' It’s a broad array of things."
Legere said his company had made settlement offers to the state attorneys general, who argue that a merger of the third- and fourth-largest U.S. wireless carriers would mean higher prices for some of the poorest consumers. Legere said he sent them a new letter on Thursday.
"We’ve had very frank discussions," Legere said. "We have made settlement proposals as ways to continue those conversations."
The reference to a possible lower price for Sprint is another piece of bad news for Softbank Group, which owns a big chunk of the U.S. wireless carrier. Softbank took a hit with WeWork, which abandoned a public offering, and on Wednesday it announced its first quarterly loss in 14 years.
Legere was speaking at an event to announce initiatives that he said were dependent on the merger proceeding: giving first-responders free access to 5G wireless; a plan to help children without access to the internet do homework; and a $15 per month prepaid service with unlimited talk, text and 2GB of high-speed smartphone data..
He also said the company planned to launch 5G services on Dec. 6.
(Reporting by Diane Bartz and David Shepardson; Additional reporting by Supantha Mukherjee; Editing by Dan Grebler)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
ANKARA (Reuters) - Turkey's daily death toll from the coronavirus hit a record high of 141 on Friday, according to data from the Health Ministry, as the country braced for nationwide measures amid a surge in cases in recent weeks. The data showed 5,103 new COVID-19 patients were recorded in the country, while the overall death toll rose to 12,084. Since July, Ankara has only reported symptomatic COVID-19 patients, a move critics say hides the true scale of the outbreak.
TBILISI (Reuters) - A gunman has released unharmed all nine hostages he had taken at a microfinance organisation in the Georgian capital Tbilisi on Friday, police said. According to preliminary information, the gunman was not demanding a ransom but had some social demands, including lower prices for medicines
By Matthias Williams KYIV (Reuters) - Thousands of people silently raised their arms in the air, held flowers aloft and broke into chants outside a church in Minsk on Friday at the funeral of a Belarusian protester. The death of 31-year-old Roman Bondarenko has become a flashpoint in months-long mass protests against President Alexander Lukashenko. Witnesses said Bondarenko was detained after a scuffle with people in plain clothes who came to a playground to remove red-and-white ribbons representing the protest movement