Oil rises after Saudi Arabia suspends shipments through Red Sea lane following attack

TOKYO (Reuters) - Brent crude led oil prices higher, extending gains into a third day after Saudi Arabia suspended crude shipments through a strategic Red Sea shipping lane and as data showed U.S. inventories fell to a 3-1/2 year low. Brent crude futures had risen 66 cents, or 0.9 percent, to $74.59 a barrel by 0019 GMT, after gaining 0.7 percent on Wednesday

Reuters July 26, 2018 07:05:28 IST
Oil rises after Saudi Arabia suspends shipments through Red Sea lane following attack

Oil rises after Saudi Arabia suspends shipments through Red Sea lane following attack

TOKYO (Reuters) - Brent crude led oil prices higher, extending gains into a third day after Saudi Arabia suspended crude shipments through a strategic Red Sea shipping lane and as data showed U.S. inventories fell to a 3-1/2 year low.

Brent crude futures had risen 66 cents, or 0.9 percent, to $74.59 a barrel by 0019 GMT, after gaining 0.7 percent on Wednesday.

U.S. West Texas Intermediate crude futures were up 22 cents at $69.52 a barrel, after climbing more than 1 percent in the previous session.

Saudi Arabia, the world's biggest oil exporter, said on Thursday that it was "temporarily halting" all oil shipments through the strategic Red Sea shipping lane of Bab al-Mandeb after an attack on two big oil tankers by Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthi movement.

Saudi Energy Minister Khalid al-Falih said in a statement that the Houthis had attacked two Saudi Very Large Crude Carriers (VLCCs) in the Red Sea on Wednesday morning, one of which sustained minimal damage.

"Saudi Arabia is temporarily halting all oil shipments through Bab al-Mandeb Strait immediately until the situation becomes clearer and the maritime transit through Bab al-Mandeb is safe," the minister said.

Most exports from the Gulf that transit the Suez Canal and the SUMED Pipeline also pass through Bab al-Mandeb strait.

An estimated 4.8 million barrels per day of crude oil and refined petroleum products flowed through this waterway in 2016 toward Europe, the United States and Asia, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

The Bab al-Mandeb strait, where the Red Sea meets the Gulf of Aden in the Arabian Sea, is only 20 km (12 miles) wide, making hundreds of ships potentially an easy target.

Prices were also supported by official data showing U.S. crude oil inventories last week tumbled more than expected to their lowest level since 2015 as exports jumped and stocks at the Cushing hub dropped.

Crude inventories fell 6.1 million barrels in the week to July 20, compared with analyst expectations for a decrease of 2.3 million barrels, the EIA said on Wednesday.

At 404.9 million barrels, inventories, not including the nation's emergency petroleum reserve, were at their lowest level since February 2015.

(Reporting by Aaron Sheldrick; Editing by Joseph Radford)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Cologne Indoors 2020: Alexander Zverev beats Felix Auger-Aliassime to end 17-month title wait
Sports

Cologne Indoors 2020: Alexander Zverev beats Felix Auger-Aliassime to end 17-month title wait

Zverev has had a breakthrough year in Grand Slam tournaments with his first semi-final at the Australian Open in January and first final at the US Open last month, when he lost to Dominic Thiem.

Novak Djokovic hoping to play Australian Open, says he wants to become 'historic number one'
Sports

Novak Djokovic hoping to play Australian Open, says he wants to become 'historic number one'

Topping the world rankings since 3 February, the Serbian star is almost 2,000 points ahead his main rival Nadal, who demolished Djokovic 6-0, 6-2, 7-5 in the Roland Garros final earlier this month.

Sardegna Open: Top-seeded Italian Fabio Fognini pulls out after testing positive for COVID-19
Sports

Sardegna Open: Top-seeded Italian Fabio Fognini pulls out after testing positive for COVID-19

Fognini, 33, had a first-round bye and was set to open in the second round against Spain's Roberto Carballes Baena in the tournament played on clay on the Italian island of Sardinia.