As security at its Manesar plant improved after it reopened on 21 August following a month-long lockout, Maruti Suzuki now intends to start a second shift from 24 September.
"Maruti targeting full production by mid-October," sources unwilling to be named told CNBC-TV18.
The auto firm will also hire additional 1,000 workers next month, sources said. The new recruitments will be from the ITIs.
Currently, employee strength at the Manesar plant is 2,000, producing 900-940 units per day, sources told CNBC-TV18.
After the lock-out, the company had fired 500 permanent workers and said it would not take back those contract workers who have been found to be involved in the 18 July violence that killed an HR executive. Sources had then said the company may not take back nearly 500 contract workers. Of 500 dismissed workers, 150 were arrested while others have been implicated and police investigations are on.
"The regularisation of contract workers and new recruitments are going on and this will be over in the next 10 days. By the last week of September, our total manpower will be in place at Manesar plant," Maruti Suzuki India, chief operating officer (supply chain) S Maitra told reporters in New Delhi on 5 September.
MSI had around 3,300 workers at the Manesar plant before the 18 July violence, in which 100 were also injured. The plant has an annual production capacity of 5.5 lakh units.
"By around the end of September the second shift will start... We are ramping production at the plant at the moment and working in single shift," Mitra said earlier.
Currently, all the four models Dzire, Swift, SX4 and A- Star are being produced at the Manesar plant.
When asked if the company could make up for production losses during the lockout, he said, "By October end we will try to regain our lost production."
The company was producing about 1,500-1,700 units a day before the trouble at the plant.
Updated Date: Dec 20, 2014 12:09 PM