Lawsuit on hotels' internet advertising tactics moves forward
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A class action lawsuit filed against Hyatt Hotels Corp, Marriott International, Wyndham Hotel Group and two other companies accusing them of conspiring to not compete online as well as harming consumers, survived a motion to dismiss on Thursday. Judge Rebecca Pallmeyer of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois rebuffed a request by the hotel chains to toss out the suit.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A class action lawsuit filed against Hyatt Hotels Corp, Marriott International, Wyndham Hotel Group and two other companies accusing them of conspiring to not compete online as well as harming consumers, survived a motion to dismiss on Thursday.
Judge Rebecca Pallmeyer of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois rebuffed a request by the hotel chains to toss out the suit.
The case, which was filed last year, alleges that Hyatt, Marriott, Wyndham, Hilton Domestic Operating Company and Six Continents Hotels, Inc agreed to not advertise against each other on online travel agencies, like Expedia.
Similarly, the lawsuit alleges, the companies stopped advertising against each other in search results.
Both of these changes came shortly after a 2014 conference.
"These allegations show, at best, that defendants had an opportunity to conspire; they do not support an inference that a conspiracy occurred," Pallmeyer wrote in allowing the lawsuit to go forward.
Spokespeople for Hyatt, Hilton, Six Continents Hotel and Wyndham did not respond to requests for comment. A spokesman for Marriott declined to comment.
The lawsuit is similar to one that the Federal Trade Commission brought against the online seller 1-800 Contacts.
The FTC had accused the company of reaching agreements with other online contact lens retailers which required them to refrain from advertising to consumers who had searched online for 1-800 Contacts.
In exchange, 1-800 Contacts agreed to not advertise to people who searched for the rivals' names.
(Reporting by Diane Bartz, editing by G Crosse)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.