J&J shares extend losses; company defends Baby Powder as safe
(Reuters) - Shares of Johnson & Johnson slipped another 2 percent on Monday, extending losses following Friday's Reuters report that the healthcare conglomerate knew for decades that cancer-causing asbestos lurked in its Baby Powder. J&J shares had closed down 10 percent on Friday, wiping out about $40 billion from the company's market capitalization
(Reuters) - Shares of Johnson & Johnson slipped another 2 percent on Monday, extending losses following Friday's Reuters report that the healthcare conglomerate knew for decades that cancer-causing asbestos lurked in its Baby Powder.
J&J shares had closed down 10 percent on Friday, wiping out about $40 billion from the company's market capitalization.
The company knew about the presence of small amounts of asbestos in its products as early as 1971, a Reuters examination of company memos, internal reports and other confidential documents showed.
In response to the report, the company said on Friday "any suggestion that Johnson & Johnson knew or hid information about the safety of talc is false."
On Monday, J&J took out a full-page ad in the New York Times titled "Science. Not Sensationalism," saying it has scientific evidence its talc is safe and beneficial to use. "If we had any reasons to believe our talc was unsafe, it would be off our shelves," the ad said.
J&J Chief Executive Alex Gorsky, in his first public statement since the Reuters story was published, is scheduled to appear on CNBC at 6 p.m. ET on Monday.
While J&J has dominated the talc powder market for more than 100 years, the products contributed less than 0.5 percent of J&J's $76.5 billion revenue last year.
J&J shares were last down 2.4 percent at $129.84.
(Reporting by Ankur Banerjee in Bengaluru; Editing by Nick Zieminski)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.