Italy's deputy PM says ArcelorMittal's Ilva offer not sufficient on jobs

By Angelo Amante ROME (Reuters) - Italy's government, which has questioned the validity of ArcelorMittal's planned takeover of Italian steelmaker Ilva, on Wednesday said it was not happy with new bid proposals put forward by the steel giant. Italy's deputy prime minister Luigi Di Maio said that while the Luxembourg-based ArcelorMittal had improved its environmental pledges, it could still do more on the jobs front.

Reuters July 26, 2018 00:07:18 IST
Italy's deputy PM says ArcelorMittal's Ilva offer not sufficient on jobs

Italys deputy PM says ArcelorMittals Ilva offer not sufficient on jobs

By Angelo Amante

ROME (Reuters) - Italy's government, which has questioned the validity of ArcelorMittal's planned takeover of Italian steelmaker Ilva, on Wednesday said it was not happy with new bid proposals put forward by the steel giant.

Italy's deputy prime minister Luigi Di Maio said that while the Luxembourg-based ArcelorMittal had improved its environmental pledges, it could still do more on the jobs front.

While putting pressure on ArcelorMittal to enhance its original offer, the new coalition has also ordered a review of the 2017 tender process, warning it will scrap the deal if it finds serious irregularities.

"We will pursue these two paths in parallel because we must be ready for all eventualities," said Di Maio, who is head of the anti-establishment 5-Star Movement and also serves as both industry and labour minister.

ArcelorMittal said on Wednesday it had presented Di Maio with "additional proposals", adding that it hoped it could shortly complete its planned takeover of Ilva.

"We have participated in this tender in good faith and remain hopeful that we will be able to complete the transaction soon," it said in a statement.

The industry ministry said on Tuesday the tender review would take 30 days and came after Italy's anti-corruption body suggested the previous centre-left government might have failed to follow the correct procedures for such a public offer.

ArcelorMittal agreed last year to buy Ilva, Europe's largest steelworks, and had been due to take it over on July 1.

However, the government delayed the handover, heightening speculation about the future of the troubled Ilva, which was placed under state-supervised special administration in 2015 three years after magistrates had intervened in the company, saying it had to be cleaned up or shut down.

ArcelorMittal promised last year to pay 1.8 billion euros to acquire Ilva and then invest 1.2 billion to boost productivity and a further 1.1 billion to curb pollution at the firm's main Taranto plant in the southern heel of Italy.

It has also told unions it plans to reduce the Taranto workforce to around 7,600 from 10,900 now.

Di Maio said ArcellorMittal had improved its environmental commitments, but added that the labour plan was "not satisfying". He gave no further details.

"ArcerolMittal does not want that its updated proposal be made public because it is worried about competitors getting hold of the information," Di Maio said.

Officials in Taranto have said Ilva is losing one million euros a day and warn that unless the ArcelorMittal deal is rapidly sealed, the business might be forced to close.

Ilva is one of Italy's largest industrial concerns and its closure would be a blow to local businesses that rely on it for much of their steel production.

(Additional reporting by Francesco Guarascio; Writing by Crispian Balmer; editing by David Evans)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Christmas in danger as Santa's Lapland home feels pandemic chill
World

Christmas in danger as Santa's Lapland home feels pandemic chill

ROVANIEMI, Finland (Reuters) - Christmas is coming, but in Santa's home village in northern Finland, the COVID pandemic means that the flocks of tourists who usually start to make merry in Rovaniemi at this time of year are not. Finland has adopted some of the strictest travel restrictions in Europe, despite its low level of infections, meaning most foreigners cannot enter the country. The northern part of Finland, where many businesses rely on tourists flying in to meet Santa Claus, see the Northern Lights or take a snowmobile safari, has seen visitor numbers plummet.

Twitter briefly restricts Trump campaign account, Republicans decry company's actions
World

Twitter briefly restricts Trump campaign account, Republicans decry company's actions

By Elizabeth Culliford and Nandita Bose (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump's re-election campaign's Twitter account was briefly restricted on Thursday, causing an outcry from Republican lawmakers who accused social media companies of acting like "speech police" and vowing to hold Twitter responsible

U.S. coronavirus cases surpass eight million as infections spike nationwide
World

U.S. coronavirus cases surpass eight million as infections spike nationwide

By Anurag Maan and Shaina Ahluwalia (Reuters) - U.S. cases of the novel coronavirus crossed 8 million on Thursday, rising by 1 million in less than a month, as another surge in cases hits the nation at the onset of cooler weather