India's equity market outperformance could cause FPI flows to return: Morgan Stanley report

India has been 'remarkably resilient' in the recent turmoil in emerging market equities largely driven by macro stability, low policy uncertainty, improving growth and domestic flows, says a Morgan Stanley report

Press Trust of India August 20, 2018 16:14:19 IST
India's equity market outperformance could cause FPI flows to return: Morgan Stanley report

New Delhi: India has been "remarkably resilient" in the recent turmoil in emerging market equities largely driven by macro stability, low policy uncertainty, improving growth and domestic flows, says a Morgan Stanley report.

According to the global brokerage firm, though foreign investors have trimmed their stake, the domestic equity market's outperformance could cause FPI flows to return.

"Domestic equity flows are in the midst of a structural uptrend and though FPIs have trimmed their India weight to 2011 lows, "India's outperformance could cause FPI flows to return," Morgan Stanley said in a research note.

Morgan Stanley in its base case (50 percent probability) expects June 2019 Sensex at 36,000, while in the bull case (30 percent probability) it could be at 44,000 and in bear case (20 percent probability) it could be at 26,500.

Indias equity market outperformance could cause FPI flows to return Morgan Stanley report

Representational image. Reuters.

The 30-share Sensex is currently hovering around 38,000 level and has jumped over 11 percent so far this year.

The global brokerage major said, "India's policy environment has defied expectations and remained relatively benign despite the coming elections in 2019".

It further said that the central bank's commitment to keep real rates positive is also positive for the markets.

The report further noted that India's growth is likely to accelerate relative to emerging market equities.

"Indeed, India's corporate profit share in the GDP is at close to all-time lows which means the up cycle could be quite significant - a contrast to most other parts of the world," it said.

Some of the major risks for the domestic equity market performance include a recovery in emerging market equities, as this could end India's outperformance while a collapse could lead India to fall like quality stocks do when in a bear market, it said.

Moreover, the election cycle, "which brings its own set of uncertainties such as inflation from food prices or fiscal slippage", is another major risk factor for the equity market going forward, the report added.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Singapore to vote for new govt on Friday; elections to test PM Lee Hsien Loong's handling of COVID-19
World

Singapore to vote for new govt on Friday; elections to test PM Lee Hsien Loong's handling of COVID-19

The general election, the first in Southeast Asia since the outbreak, is being held at a time when Singapore is heading towards its worst-ever recession in nearly two decades

At $0.6 bn, India records current account surplus in fourth quarter of FY20 for first time in 13 years, says RBI
India

At $0.6 bn, India records current account surplus in fourth quarter of FY20 for first time in 13 years, says RBI

The RBI data also showed the current account deficit for the October-December quarter of fiscal 2019-20 was revised to $2.6 billion or 0.4 percent of GDP from $1.4 billion earlier.