The last date for e-filing income-tax returns this year has been extended to 5 August. You just have five more days to get it done. Don't rush, but don't keep it for last minute either. More importantly, make sure you complete the whole process. After all, no task is complete without finishing the last step. While filing your income tax returns, the last, important step is verification. Many things have changed this year while filing returns so read on to know more and be on top of your tax game.
E-filing of return is not valid until you finish the verification step of the return so filed. Only after the verification step is complete will the Income Tax officer take the file up for processing. Unlike until now this year, you get three options to verify your returns. We will talk about two ways to e-verify, the third option is a paper-based option which is explained in the link mentioned above.
Option 1 : e- verifying using Aadhaar card
1) The first step is to link your Aadhar to PAN card if you have not done so already read this.
2) Log on to Income Tax Department website.
3) Upload your ITR through the Income Tax e-Filing website.
4) Once you have done the needed form filing and paid taxes if any, you will reach the last stage. These are the options you get here:
I already have an electronic verification code or EVC to e-verify my return.
I do not have an EVC and would like to generate EVC to e-verify my return.
I would like to generate Aadhaar OTP to e-verify my return.
I would like to send ITR-V/I would like to e-verify later.
5) Select the 'generate Aadhaar OTP' option. You will get a one-time password on your registered mobile number. Remember this is the number which you gave to register for Aadhaar. The OTP is valid for 10 minutes. So act fast once you get the password.
6) Feed the OTP on the page. Hit the submit button and your returns are e-verified. You will also get the message saying your return has been successfully e-verified. Download the acknowledgement message. You will also get the acknowledgment slip in your registered mailbox. This is the step where your income tax returns have officially been filed. We find this the easiest way of filing returns.
E- verifying using EVC
Once you have done with steps 1-3 in the above set, you will now choose the EVC option over the Aadhaar option. EVC comes with two options. The first option is that "I already have an EVC to e-verify my return." If you have an EVC proceed with the next step. The second option is "I do not have an EVC and I would like to generate EVC to e-verify my return." Here, you can get an EVS generated on your mobile number or get it emailed. Then proceed to the next step.
The next step. A box to enter the EVC generated is seen on the screen. Put in the EVC and click submit to e-verify. You will receive a system-generated message that your return has been e-verified.
e- verifying using net banking
You need to go to your net banking page and chose the “Income Filing” button. All banks will have this on their net banking dashboard. Click and you will be redirected to the income tax department’s website. Choose the option "Click here to view your returns pending for e-verification" and then click on "e-verify". Once you do so your e-verification is done.
Updated Date: Aug 02, 2017 08:43 AM