Huawei selling Honor brand to consortium of agents and dealers to keep the unit alive

By David Kirton SHENZHEN, China (Reuters) - Huawei Technologies Co Ltd is selling its budget brand smartphone unit Honor to a consortium of over 30 agents and dealers in a bid to keep it alive, the company and the consortium said on Tuesday. The deal comes after U.S

Reuters November 17, 2020 07:05:17 IST
Huawei selling Honor brand to consortium of agents and dealers to keep the unit alive

Huawei selling Honor brand to consortium of agents and dealers to keep the unit alive

By David Kirton

SHENZHEN, China (Reuters) - Huawei Technologies Co Ltd is selling its budget brand smartphone unit Honor to a consortium of over 30 agents and dealers in a bid to keep it alive, the company and the consortium said on Tuesday.

The deal comes after U.S. restrictions on supplying Huawei Technologies on grounds the firm is a national security threat - which it denies.

The consortium issued a statement on Tuesday announcing the purchase, which will be made via a new company, Shenzhen Zhixin New Information Technology.

Huawei will not hold any shares in the new Honor company after the sale, the statement said.

In Huawei's statement, the company said its consumer business has been under "tremendous pressure" due to the "persistent unavailability of technical elements" for its phone business.

"This move has been made by Honor's industry chain to ensure its own survival," Huawei said.

The change of ownership will not impact Honor's development direction, both statements said.

No figure for the deal was given.

Sources with knowledge of the matter say the U.S. government restrictions have forced the world's second-biggest smartphone maker - after South Korea's Samsung Electronics Co Ltd <005930.KS> - to focus on high-end handsets and corporate-oriented business. One source said on Tuesday the U.S. government will have no reason to apply sanctions to Honor after it separates from Huawei.

Honor sells smartphones through its own websites and third-party retailers in China, where it competes with Xiaomi Corp <1810.HK>, Oppo and Vivo in the lower-priced handset market. It also sells phones in Southeast Asia and Europe, and ships 70 million units annual, according to the Huawei statement.

Electronics products and appliance store Suning.com <002024.SZ> is listed among the buyers, which include several state-owned investment firms in Huawei's hometown of Shenzhen.

Honor will look for more investment partners in the future, with the possibility of an eventual listing, the source said.

Reuters reported earlier this month that Huawei was in talks to sell Honor in a 100 billion yuan (£11 billion) deal to a consortium led by handset distributor Digital China and the government of Shenzhen.

The source said Digital China was not part of the final buyer group.

Huawei has said its higher-end smartphone line is under threat from the U.S. sanctions, with the head of its consumer business saying in August that it would be unable to continue making the Kirin chips that power its premium models.

(Reporting by David Kirton; Editing by Sonya Hepinstall)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources
| Reuters
World

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters

By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States

China's Xi says navy should become world class
| Reuters
World

China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters

BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.