Ford to close oldest plant in Brazil, costing 2,700 jobs
By Marcelo Rochabrun, Alberto Alerigi and Ben Klayman SAO PAULO/DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co said on Tuesday it will close its oldest factory in Brazil and exit its heavy commercial truck business in South America, a move that could cost more than 2,700 jobs as part of a restructuring meant to end losses around the world. Ford previously said the global reorganization, to impact thousands of jobs and possible plant closures in Europe, would result in $11 billion in charges. Following that announcement, analysts and investors had expected a similar restructuring in South America.
By Marcelo Rochabrun, Alberto Alerigi and Ben Klayman
SAO PAULO/DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co said on Tuesday it will close its oldest factory in Brazil and exit its heavy commercial truck business in South America, a move that could cost more than 2,700 jobs as part of a restructuring meant to end losses around the world.
Ford previously said the global reorganization, to impact thousands of jobs and possible plant closures in Europe, would result in $11 billion in charges.
Following that announcement, analysts and investors had expected a similar restructuring in South America. Ford Chief Executive Jim Hackett said last month that investors would not have to wait long for the South American reorganization plan.
The factory slated for closure is in Sao Bernardo do Campo, an industrial suburb of Sao Paulo that has operated since 1967. It first produced a number of auto models before being switched predominantly to trucks in 2001. It makes the F-4000 and F-350 trucks, as well as the Fiesta small car, a sales laggard.
The factory closure may mean Ford is refocusing on the core of its car business in Latin America's largest economy, based in a much newer factory in the northeastern state of Bahia. But the job cuts in Brazil's industrial heartland represent a psychological blow for the new administration of far-right President Jair Bolsonaro, which is battling an unemployment rate above 11 percent.
Ford's latest cuts come as investors watch for signs of progress on the company's alliance with Volkswagen AG , which already encompasses commercial vans and pickup trucks but may soon expand into electric and self-driving cars. The two automakers have also pledged to work together on other projects, which could include combining capacity in regions like South America.
Ford shares closed up 3.4 percent at $8.83 in New York.
"You can’t cost cut your way to prosperity in the long term," said David Kufka, who heads Michigan-based Mainstay Capital Management, a firm that previously owned Ford stock. "We want to hear about the future, what you’re doing for mobility services and autonomous vehicles."
The closure is also a blow to the industrial outskirts of Sao Paulo, where Brazil's automotive industry was born and which long drove its industrial growth. It is also where imprisoned former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva came to fame as a union leader who organized massive strikes that helped harken the end of the military dictatorship.
Representatives for the union in Sao Bernardo, as well as the local government, did not have an immediate comment.
Sales of Ford cars and light trucks grew by 10 percent between 2017 and 2018 in Brazil, lagging a 15 percent post-recession pickup for the industry as a whole.
In the trucks business, it ranked fourth, with sales less than half those of Mercedes Benz and Volkswagen.
Ford South America President Lyle Watters said on Tuesday the automaker remains "committed" to South America, a region where it is not currently profitable.
Ford said in October it would stop building Focus compact cars in Argentina in May 2019 as part of efforts to end its losses in the region.
“We know this action will have a major impact on our employees in São Bernardo and we will be working closely with all our stakeholders on the next steps,” Watters said in a statement, without providing further details about any severance benefits for laid-off workers.
Kleiton Da Silva, an employee and union representative in Ford's surviving Bahia plant, said the carmaker was in talks to cut 650 of its workforce there, which the automaker has said totals 4,604.
The No. 2 U.S. automaker expects to record pretax special charges of about $460 million (352 million pounds), with most of that recorded this year, it said in the statement.
(Reporting by Ben Klayman in Detroit and Marcelo Rochabrun and Alberto Alerigi in Sao Paulo; Editing by Jonathan Oatis, Matthew Lewis and Dan Grebler)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
By Jessica Resnick-Ault NEW YORK (Reuters) - Oil prices strengthened on Wednesday, as OPEC and its allies were seen complying with a pact to cut oil supply in September, even as concerns loomed that recovery in fuel demand will be stalled by soaring global coronavirus cases. Early in the day crude was boosted by a bullish stock market. Even as equities whipsawed on pandemic worries, oil stayed higher, buoyed by expectations that OPEC could staunch a supply glut
By Tina Bellon and C Nivedita (Reuters) - Tesla Inc will further cut the price of its Model S "Long Range" sedan in the United States to $69,420, the electric carmaker's chief executive, Elon Musk, announced in a tweet https://bit.ly/2H0JCP0 on Wednesday. The anticipated drop marks the second time this week Tesla has cut the price for the high-end sedan, following a 4% cut of the Model S's price in the United States on Tuesday to $71,990.
By Jeff Mason DES MOINES, Iowa (Reuters) - Under siege over his handling of the novel coronavirus pandemic, President Donald Trump on Wednesday cited what he said was his son's mild bout of the virus as a reason why American schools should reopen as soon as possible. Trump made the comment about his son, Barron, as the president swept into Iowa on a mission to shore up support in battleground states that he won in 2016 but is in danger of losing to Democrat Joe Biden barely three weeks before the election. First lady Melania Trump announced in a statement earlier in the day that the virus that struck both her and her husband had also infected their 14-year-old son