Factbox: Countries' different reactions to Thomas Cook bankruptcy
(Reuters) - British travel operator Thomas Cook ran hotels, resorts and airlines ferrying 19 million people a year to 16 different countries. It currently has 600,000 people abroad, forcing governments and insurance companies to coordinate a huge operation to bring them all home. Here is a summary of official responses to the Thomas Cook collapse: UNITED KINGDOM The UK's Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), regulator and government have a fleet of planes ready to start bringing home more than 150,000 British customers abroad over the next two weeks
(Reuters) - British travel operator Thomas Cook ran hotels, resorts and airlines ferrying 19 million people a year to 16 different countries. It currently has 600,000 people abroad, forcing governments and insurance companies to coordinate a huge operation to bring them all home.
Here is a summary of official responses to the Thomas Cook collapse:
The UK's Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), regulator and government have a fleet of planes ready to start bringing home more than 150,000 British customers abroad over the next two weeks.
French organization Entreprises de Voyage said that about 10,000 French tourists could be affected by the bankruptcy of Thomas Cook.
Norwegian subsidiary Ving said that currently 8,685 Norwegians are on its tours.
The Norwegian Travel Guarantee Fund, an insurance scheme that is compulsory for tour operators, issued a statement saying it will ensure any passengers traveling with Thomas Cook's Norwegian unit will be repatriated.
Danish subsidiary Spies said that none of its planes will be leaving, and about 1,400 travelers are affected. A press contact in Thomas Cook said that affected travelers will get their trips refunded.
Thomas Cook unit Oy Tjäreborg says it has a total of 2,884 passengers currently traveling. "We are currently doing all we can to arrange return flights for passengers and will provide more information during the day," the company said on its website.
The Swedish unit Ving said the number of Swedish passengers currently away came to 16,956. "We are now working intensely to ensure that all affected travelers are flown home with as little disruption as possible", the company said on its website.
The Russian tour operator subsidiary, Intourist said the bankruptcy of Thomas Cook will have no impact on clients, Russian Executive Director Sergei Tolchin told Interfax.
Thomas Cook holiday airline Condor says it will continue its flight operation despite its parent company's insolvency.
"Condor ... is continuing operations," the German airline said in a statement.
Thomas Cook says there are roughly 140,000 holidaymakers currently traveling with its German units.
As of Monday morning the Netherlands and Belgium units of Thomas Cook were still operating.
The Polish unit Neckermann said its financial condition is stable and it continues to operate normally, with holidaymakers unaffected.
A Greek tourism ministry official told Reuters that about 50,000 tourists are stranded.
"The top priority now is to get them back home," the official said, declining to be named.
Cyprus says 15,000 Thomas Cook customers are stranded on the island.
"We will work intensively... I believe that a large portion of the arrivals we stand to lose will somehow be regulated by the market and other travel agencies," said Savvas Perdios, deputy minister of tourism to Reuters.
Spanish Airport operator Aena says 46 flights operated by Thomas Cook have been cancelled in Spanish airports. Between 25,000 and 30,000 tourists are affected in the Canary Islands, according to local media.
The Turkish Ministry of Tourism said it will provide support for local companies affected by the Thomas Cook collapse.
The Hotelier Federation head said about 45,000 tourists from the UK and Europe are in the country.
Thomas Cook operator Blue Sky Group said that 25,000 reservations in Egypt booked up to April 2020 had been cancelled. Blue Sky currently has 1,600 tourists in Egypt's Hugharda resort
Tunisian tourism minister Rene Trabelsi told Reuters that 4,500 Thomas Cook customers are still on holiday in Tunisia.
(Reporting by Tommy Lund and Jagoda Darlak; Editing by Hugh Lawson, William Maclean)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.