Exxon-led Russian consortium to pay Rosneft $230 million to settle production dispute
By Nidhi Verma NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Russia's Sakhalin-1 consortium, led by ExxonMobil, has agreed to pay Russian energy giant Rosneft $230 million in an out-of-court settlement of an oil production dispute, an executive of an Indian consortium partner said on Friday. Rosneft had filed a $1.4 billion lawsuit in the Sakhalin district arbitration court in Russia's far east, accusing the consortium of unjust enrichment, an allegation the consortium denied.
By Nidhi Verma
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Russia's Sakhalin-1 consortium, led by ExxonMobil, has agreed to pay Russian energy giant Rosneft $230 million in an out-of-court settlement of an oil production dispute, an executive of an Indian consortium partner said on Friday.
Rosneft had filed a $1.4 billion lawsuit in the Sakhalin district arbitration court in Russia's far east, accusing the consortium of unjust enrichment, an allegation the consortium denied.
The dispute centred around how oil should be shared between the Sakhalin-1 concession and an adjacent Rosneft field.
"Rosneft was demanding that it should be paid $1.4 billion ... We have agreed for an out-of-court settlement and will be paying $230 million as Rosneft entered the other area in 2011," N.K. Verma, managing director of India's ONGC Videsh, a partner in the Sakhalin-1 consortium, told Reuters.
Rosneft declined to comment. ExxonMobil in Moscow declined immediate comment.
“We don’t have anything we can share,” said Suann Guthrie, an Exxon Mobil spokeswoman in the United States.
P.K. Rao, director for operations at ONGC Videsh, said the out-of-court settlement was reached about 10 days ago.
The row was over oil "cross-flows" from Northern Chayvo oilfield, controlled by Rosneft.
Sakhalin-1, off Russia's Pacific Ocean coast, is operated by Exxon Neftegaz Ltd, through which ExxonMobil owns 30 percent in the project. Rosneft and ONGC control 20 percent each. Japanese consortium Sodeco owns 30 percent.
(Reporting by Nidhi Verma; Additional reporting by Ernest Scheyder in Houston; Writing by Vladimir Soldatkin; Editing by Adrian Croft)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.