By Mike Stone
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Defense has resumed accepting F-35 jet deliveries from Lockheed Martin Corp
The Pentagon had stopped deliveries since at least April 11, when Lockheed first acknowledged to Reuters that the Pentagon was not taking new planes. The dispute was over who was responsible for paying to fix corrosion related to an error discovered in the second half of 2017.
Last year, the Pentagon stopped accepting F-35s for 30 days after discovering corrosion where panels were fastened to the airframe, an issue that affected more than 200 of the stealthy jets. Once a fix had been devised, the deliveries resumed, and Lockheed hit its target aircraft delivery numbers for 2017.
A lack of protective coating at the fastening point that would have prevented corrosion was identified as the primary problem, the Pentagon said at the time.
Lockheed said an agreement had been reached with the Pentagon, adding that it expected to hit its F-35 delivery target of 91 aircraft for 2018.
(Reporting by Mike Stone in Washington; Editing by Chris Sanders and Matthew Lewis)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Firstpost.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.
Updated Date: May 08, 2018 01:05:30 IST