Disney, Fox sued in U.S. for $1 billion over Malaysia theme park

By Jonathan Stempel (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co and Twenty-First Century Fox Inc were sued for more than $1 billion on Monday by casino operator Genting Malaysia Bhd , which accused them of abandoning a contract related to its planned construction of the first Fox-branded theme park. Genting said 'seller's remorse' induced Fox, with Disney's help, to breach its 2013 contract with Fox Entertainment Group to license intellectual property for Fox World, a proposed addition to its Resorts World Genting complex, an hour's drive from Kuala Lumpur. Disney did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Reuters November 27, 2018 04:05:28 IST
Disney, Fox sued in U.S. for $1 billion over Malaysia theme park

Disney Fox sued in US for 1 billion over Malaysia theme park

By Jonathan Stempel

(Reuters) - Walt Disney Co and Twenty-First Century Fox Inc were sued for more than $1 billion on Monday by casino operator Genting Malaysia Bhd , which accused them of abandoning a contract related to its planned construction of the first Fox-branded theme park.

Genting said "seller's remorse" induced Fox, with Disney's help, to breach its 2013 contract with Fox Entertainment Group to license intellectual property for Fox World, a proposed addition to its Resorts World Genting complex, an hour's drive from Kuala Lumpur.

Disney did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Dan Berger, a spokesman for Twentieth Century Fox Film, one of the defendants, declined to comment.

The lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court in Los Angeles as Disney prepares to complete its $71.3 billion purchase of many Fox assets, expected in the first quarter of 2019.

Genting said the problems began as Fox engineered years of delays to force a renegotiation of the contract, which did not give it a share of gate sales.

But according to the complaint, Disney is now "calling the shots," and wants to end the contract because associating with a gaming company didn't fit its "family-friendly" brand strategy.

Genting said Fox issued a default notice with the hope of terminating the contract, in a manner "entirely consistent with Disney wanting to kill the deal" to benefit itself.

"Given that FEG had no right to terminate the Agreement, Fox and Disney are liable for what will exceed a billion dollars in damages attributable to the bad-faith behavior of both Fox and Disney," the complaint said.

Genting said it had already made a "$750 million-plus investment" in Fox World. It is also seeking punitive damages.

According to the complaint, Resorts World Genting contains Malaysia's only legal land-based casino, seven hotels, shopping malls, performance venues, gondola lifts and scores of restaurants, bars and clubs. More than 23 million people visit each year, the complaint said.

The case is Genting Malaysia Bhd v Fox Entertainment Group LLC et al, U.S. District Court, Central District of California, No. 18-09866.

(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; Editing by Phil Berlowitz)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources
| Reuters
World

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters

By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States

China's Xi says navy should become world class
| Reuters
World

China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters

BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.