China buys U.S. soybeans after declaring ban on American farm goods

By Tom Polansek CHICAGO (Reuters) - China snapped up a small volume of U.S. soybeans last week after pledging to halt purchases of American farm products due to the escalating trade war between Washington and Beijing, U.S.

Reuters August 23, 2019 01:05:57 IST
China buys U.S. soybeans after declaring ban on American farm goods

China buys US soybeans after declaring ban on American farm goods

By Tom Polansek

CHICAGO (Reuters) - China snapped up a small volume of U.S. soybeans last week after pledging to halt purchases of American farm products due to the escalating trade war between Washington and Beijing, U.S. Department of Agriculture data showed on Thursday.

The world's largest soybean importer struck deals from Aug. 9 to 15 to buy 9,589 tonnes for delivery in the current marketing year and 66,000 tonnes, approximately one cargo, for the next year, the data showed.

China's Commerce Ministry said on Aug. 5 that Chinese companies stopped buying U.S. farm products in the latest escalation of the trade war between the world's two largest economies.

"You do have some buying going on," said Arlan Suderman, chief commodities economist for INTL FCStone. "It's a little bit of a surprise."

China last year imposed retaliatory tariffs that remain in place on imports of U.S. farm products including soybeans and pork. The duties have slashed exports of U.S. crops and prompted the Trump administration to compensate American farmers for losses over two years with as much as $28 billion.

China said on Thursday it hopes the United States will stop a plan to impose new tariffs, adding that any new duties would lead to a further escalation.

China has largely turned to South America for soybeans since the trade war began last year. U.S. soybean sales to China in 2018 dropped 74% from the previous year.

"Compared to what they used to buy, they essentially have halted - but some have gotten through," Suderman said.

The sales of 9,589 tonnes for delivery in the current marketing year will probably be rolled ahead to be delivered in the next year, which begins on Sept. 1, said Don Roose, president of Iowa-based broker U.S. Commodities.

The cargo sold for delivery in the next marketing year could have been in the works before Beijing said Chinese companies would suspend purchases of U.S. farm goods, said Terry Reilly, senior commodity analyst for Futures International.

"The government may have just given the green light to say, 'Let this one go through,'" Reilly said.

"One cargo is not going to change the fact that they're not buying millions of tons of soybeans."

(Reporting by Tom Polansek; Editing by Marguerita Choy)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

British newspaper distribution hit by Extinction Rebellion blockade
Business

British newspaper distribution hit by Extinction Rebellion blockade

By James Davey LONDON (Reuters) - Distribution of several British newspapers was disrupted on Saturday after climate change activists blockaded printworks used by Rupert Murdoch's News UK, publisher of The Times and The Sun, drawing condemnation from Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

'Keep calm and support Barnier': French minister denies Brexit negotiator sidelined
Business

'Keep calm and support Barnier': French minister denies Brexit negotiator sidelined

PARIS (Reuters) - France denied the European Union's Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier was about to be sidelined by EU leaders in a bid to break the deadlock in trade talks, as reported by British newspaper the Daily Telegraph. Twisting a famous British war slogan, European affairs minister Clement Beaune tweeted on Saturday: "Keep calm and support Michel Barnier".

Mexico rejects ex-President Calderon's bid to register new political party
World

Mexico rejects ex-President Calderon's bid to register new political party

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico's National Electoral Institute (INE) has denied former President Felipe Calderon's bid to register his Free Mexico movement as a new political party, saying some of its funding was questionable.