ArcelorMittal promises to present improved plan for Italy's Ilva
By Angelo Amante ROME (Reuters) - Steel giant ArcelorMittal said on Friday it would present improved proposals for its planned takeover of Italy's troubled steelmaker Ilva, as the new government questioned how it came to be awarded the deal. Ilva has been under state-supervised special administration since 2015, after magistrates said it must be cleaned up or closed. ArcelorMittal agreed last year to buy it after outbidding competitors and promised to fix the problems.
By Angelo Amante
ROME (Reuters) - Steel giant ArcelorMittal said on Friday it would present improved proposals for its planned takeover of Italy's troubled steelmaker Ilva, as the new government questioned how it came to be awarded the deal.
Ilva has been under state-supervised special administration since 2015, after magistrates said it must be cleaned up or closed. ArcelorMittal agreed last year to buy it after outbidding competitors and promised to fix the problems.
It was due to take over the business on July 1, but the newly installed Italian government delayed the handover and has pressed ArcelorMittal to come up with a much better plan for the firm.
In a statement issued on Friday, ArcelorMittal said it would unveil its new proposals in the coming days.
"We have worked to increase the environmental and jobs plan, which will improve the original commitments and strengthen the environmental performance of Ilva and its support to local communities," it said in a statement.
"Once an agreement has been reached on the basis of this project, we are confident that all the parties, including the unions, will be satisfied and will be ready to conclude the deal quickly", it added.
The group said it had already promised to invest 4.2 billion euros in Ilva, including 1.2 billion to boost productivity and 1.15 billion to curb pollution. It has also told unions it plans to reduce the workforce in Ilva's main Taranto plant to around 7,600 from 10,900 now -- a proposal the unions have rejected.
ArcelorMittal added that it had taken part in the government tender in a "clear and transparent manner".
It released its statement shortly after Deputy Prime Minister Luigi Di Maio, who also serves as industry and labour minister, questioned how the tender was awarded, calling the process a "mess".
Earlier this month, Di Maio asked Italy's anti-corruption unit to review the bidding process. "It has confirmed that our concerns about the Ilva tender procedure were well founded," the deputy prime minister told parliament on Friday.
He provided no details and gave no indication that he was considering pulling the contract from ArcelorMittal, but said he would seek an internal ministry investigation into the deal.
Di Maio's anti-establishment 5-Star Movement had promised ahead of a March national election that it would shut down Ilva if it took power because of environmental concerns.
Former industry minister Carlo Calenda, who oversaw the original tender, rejected Di Maio's criticism.
"(Di Maio) has said serious and false things in parliament," Calenda wrote on Twitter. "If you think the bid was rigged, assume your responsibility and cancel it."
(Writing by Crispian Balmer; Editing by Kirsten Donovan)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
By Guy Faulconbridge and Kate Holton LONDON (Reuters) - Rich countries could be back to close to normal by late 2021 if a COVID-19 vaccine works, is ready soon and distributed properly at scale, Microsoft founder Bill Gates said on Tuesday. "By late next year you can have things going back pretty close to normal - that's the best case," Gates, 64, told The Wall Street Journal CEO Council. "We still don't know whether these vaccines will succeed," Gates said.
By Rupam Jain (Reuters) - Taliban and Afghan government-backed negotiators have agreed on a broad code of conduct to advance the intra-Afghan peace talks in Qatar, even as key differences between the two warring sides remain, three official sources told Reuters on Tuesday.
MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian rights groups on Tuesday called on the authorities to stop using home searches as a tactic to intimidate opponents after a journalist set herself on fire following a police raid of her apartment last week. Irina Slavina, editor-in-chief at a small news outlet in the city of Nizhny Novgorod, self-immolated in front of the local branch of the interior ministry in Nizhny Novgorod last Friday after blaming Russian authorities for her death in a Facebook post