Airline SAS cancels flights as pilot strike deadline nears

STOCKHOLM/COPENHAGEN (Reuters) - Airline SAS said on Thursday it will cancel 205 flights from midnight until noon Friday as a precautionary measure in case of a threatened pilots' strike. Swedish, Danish and Norwegian pilot unions earlier this month called a strike if there was no agreement on wages and other terms after an earlier round of talks broke down without the parties finding common ground. 'We are still in negotiations and hoping for a solution but have had to take precautionary measures for those passengers that are travelling early tomorrow morning,' SAS spokeswoman Freja Annamatz said.

Reuters April 26, 2019 01:05:48 IST
Airline SAS cancels flights as pilot strike deadline nears

Airline SAS cancels flights as pilot strike deadline nears

STOCKHOLM/COPENHAGEN (Reuters) - Airline SAS said on Thursday it will cancel 205 flights from midnight until noon Friday as a precautionary measure in case of a threatened pilots' strike.

Swedish, Danish and Norwegian pilot unions earlier this month called a strike if there was no agreement on wages and other terms after an earlier round of talks broke down without the parties finding common ground.

"We are still in negotiations and hoping for a solution but have had to take precautionary measures for those passengers that are travelling early tomorrow morning," SAS spokeswoman Freja Annamatz said.

"This means we have cancelled 205 flights," she said.

National mediators in the three countries have been trying to broker a deal since last week between delegations of the two parties.

As many as seventy thousand travellers could see their flights cancelled on Friday unless negotiators agree a last-minute deal to stop nearly all of SAS' around 1,500 pilots going on strike after midnight, Annamatz said.

The airline normally flies around 800 flights per day.

A strike would affect 70 percent of SAS flights. The remaining 30 percent are operated by partners that would not be affected by strike action, Annamatz said.

Should a strike last through the weekend, around 170,000 travellers would be affected in total, she added.

Earlier this week, the airline offered travellers concerned about a possible strike the chance to reschedule flights for the April 26-29 period to another date free of charge.

SAS is in the midst of renewing an elderly and fuel-intensive fleet after spending years cutting costs in the face of cut-price competition from budget carriers such as Norwegian Air Shuttle and Ryanair.

The airline reported a bigger than expected loss for its fiscal first quarter in February, but said it still expected to run a profit for the full year.

(Reporting by Anna Ringstrom, Jacob Gronholt-Pedersen, Andreas Mortensen, Nerijus Adomaitis and Esha Vaish; Editing by Niklas Pollard and Jan Harvey)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

Rockets hit near U.S. forces and contractors in Iraq in separate attacks -officials
World

Rockets hit near U.S. forces and contractors in Iraq in separate attacks -officials

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Rockets hit near U.S. forces and contractors in Iraq on Wednesday, including an air base north of Baghdad and a military base at Baghdad International Airport, the Iraqi army and security officials said. The army reported at least three rockets hit Balad air base, where U.S

Italian police probe subcontractor to Burberry over labour exploitation -warrant
World

Italian police probe subcontractor to Burberry over labour exploitation -warrant

By Silvia Ognibene and Silvia Aloisi FLORENCE, Italy (Reuters) -Italian police have arrested a Chinese couple accused of running a leather goods business which exploited immigrant workers it employed to make handbags for a Burberry supplier, according to an arrest warrant seen by Reuters. Tax police in Florence said in a statement that the two Chinese nationals were arrested on Wednesday as part of an investigation into alleged labour exploitation and tax fraud and that restrictive measures had been imposed on two other family members, including a ban on them leaving Italy

U.S. blacklists four Nicaraguans, including Ortega's daughter
World

U.S. blacklists four Nicaraguans, including Ortega's daughter

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States on Wednesday blacklisted four Nicaraguans, including a daughter of President Daniel Ortega, as Washington warned it would continue to use diplomatic and economic tools against members of the leftist government engaged in repression. The U.S. State Department called on Ortega to release detained presidential candidates as well as other civil society and opposition leaders arrested over the past week in what Washington called "an increasing wave of repression." "There are costs for those who are complicit in the regime's repression.