Addressable medicine market for e-pharmacies in India to reach $18.1 billion by 2023: EY

The addressable medicine market for e-pharmacies in the country stands currently at $9.3 billion and is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 18.1 percent.

Press Trust of India May 29, 2019 16:22:35 IST
Addressable medicine market for e-pharmacies in India to reach $18.1 billion by 2023: EY
  • The key growth drivers for the e-pharma market in India are increasing internet penetration and smartphone ownership

  • The increase in chronic diseases, rising per capita income and resultant healthcare spend will also aid to its growth

  • The e-pharmacy market is expected to grow at a substantial pace in the next four years

New Delhi: The total addressable medicine market for e-pharmacies in India is likely to reach $18.1 billion by 2023, driven by increasing internet penetration through smartphones, healthcare spend and rise in chronic diseases, according to a report.

As per the report 'E-pharma: Delivering Healthier Outcomes' by consultancy firm EY, the addressable medicine market for e-pharmacies in the country stands currently at $9.3 billion and is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 18.1 percent.

The key growth drivers for the e-pharma market in India are increasing internet penetration and smartphone ownership along with the ease of ordering medications through an e-commerce platform, it said.

Besides, the increase in chronic diseases, rising per capita income and resultant healthcare spend will also aid to its growth.

Commenting on the findings, EY India Partner and National Leader - E-Commerce and Consumer Internet Ankur Pahwa said, "Today, India is adapting to e-commerce rapidly with mobile-first consumer behaviour and improving digital payments infrastructure, and online pharmacies, one of the verticals of e-commerce, are starting to gain momentum and have tremendous growth potential".

Addressable medicine market for epharmacies in India to reach 181 billion by 2023 EY

Representational image. Reuters

The e-pharmacy market is expected to grow at a substantial pace in the next four years on the back of the renewed focus of the government and households on healthcare spending and the faster adoption of internet amongst users, he added.

According to EY, at present 35 percent of domestic pharmaceutical market relates to chronic medications and the remaining 65 percent to acute
medicines.

"Out of this, e-pharmacies are expected to target 85 percent of the chronic market and 40 percent of the acute medicine market by 2023 (up from 25 percent in 2019)," the report said.

This expected rise in the acute target market by e-pharmacies, can be attributed to an improvement in last mile logistics through collaboration with local pharmacies and integrating into existing hyperlocal models, it added.

The report also pointed out there is a lot of cash burn in e-pharma industry, mainly for offering discounts to gain scale. Discounts have to come down to reasonable levels to achieve break-even and any meaningful profitability.

Commenting on the opportunities in the sector, Pahwa said, "In the near future, global e-commerce players will use their international experience and local omni-channel presence to make in-roads into the e-pharma segment".

Fintech and healthtech players can look to expand offerings by getting into the segment. Hyperlocal players (food tech, grocery, delivery only companies) can also add on this segment to their existing portfolio to build efficiency on the delivery side.

"Even Indian players with deep omnichannel presence especially in emerging tier 2/3 towns with growing healthcare spends can add this vertical stream and can make a deep impact in the e-pharma sector," he said.

Updated Date:

also read

J&K attaches 125 ‘proceeds of terrorism’ properties of Jamaat-e-Islami
India

J&K attaches 125 ‘proceeds of terrorism’ properties of Jamaat-e-Islami

These 125 immovable properties were identified as a result of terrorism-related investigations by the State Investigation Agency (SIA) and executive wing of the Jammu and Kashmir Police

Flying and Furious: How vaping has led to a rise in air rage incidents
Explainers

Flying and Furious: How vaping has led to a rise in air rage incidents

Air fury is frequently brought on by passengers who disobey flight regulations, yell at flight attendants, or are intoxicated. The main non-compliance concern identified in a recent global analysis by IATA was smoking, including cigarettes and vaping, inside the cabin

How sexual abuse claims of women workers from Imran Khan's party spark outrage in Pakistan
Explainers

How sexual abuse claims of women workers from Imran Khan's party spark outrage in Pakistan

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf chairman and former Prime Minister Imran Khan has urged the country's judiciary to take suo motu notice of the alleged abuse, including ‘reports of rape,’ of its female party workers and supporters who were arrested following the 9 May riots