2G: CBI moves SC, wants hearing of Chandra's bail plea expedited

New Delhi: CBI on Monday approached the Supreme Court seeking to expedite the hearing on its plea to cancel bail granted to Unitech Ltd Managing Director Sanjay Chandra, accused in the 2G spectrum case, for allegedly trying to "sabotage the trial".

A bench headed by Justice GS Singhvi, however, asked senior advocate UU Lalit, appearing for the agency, to file an appropriate application in this regard.

IBNLive image.

IBNLive image.

The matter is likely to be listed before a new bench comprising justices HL Dattu and KS Radhakrishnan as Justice Singhvi, who is demitting office on 11 December, has recused himself from hearing the 2G cases.

CBI has sought cancellation of Chandra's bail alleging he had misused the relief given to him by approaching the then CBI prosecutor AK Singh and trying to "materially interfere" with the prosecution in an "attempt to influence" the conduct and outcome of the trial.

On CBI's petition, the court had earlier issued notice to Chandra and asked him to file his response on the petition.

CBI has sought recall of the apex court's 23 November, 2011 order by which he was granted bail.

It has alleged that conduct of Chandra was questionable during the period of bail as he was found holding discussion with the prosecutor about crucial witnesses.

"It is apparent the freedom granted to accused by means of enlargement from custody has been misused by him and that allowing him to continue unabated will be detrimental to the conduct of this trial and to the greater public interest," CBI has said in its application.

His conversation with the prosecutor, who was removed from the case, reflected that the entire strategy of CBI in dealing with the case was compromised, the agency has said.

CBI said it had registered a Preliminary Enquiry report which named Chandra and prosecutor Singh.

The investigation also suggested that the conversation took place between the two when the statement of crucial witness A K Srivastava, Department of Telecom's former Deputy Director General (AS) was being recorded in the court, it has said.

The agency has also stated that the CFSL report has confirmed that the recorded conversation was neither tampered with nor any editing was done and it was the voice of Chandra and Singh.

PTI


Updated Date: Dec 21, 2014 00:07 AM

Also Watch

Watch: Firstpost test rides the new Thunderbird 500X in Goa and walks you through the Royal Enfield Garage Cafe
  • Tuesday, April 17, 2018 Varun Dhawan on Shoojit Sircar's October, 5-star reviews and working with Anushka Sharma in Sui Dhaaga
  • Saturday, April 14, 2018 Ambedkar Jayanti: Re-visiting Babasaheb's ideals exposes fake Dalit politics of Rahul Gandhi and Congress
  • Monday, April 9, 2018 48 hours with Huawei P20 Pro: Triple camera offering is set to redefine smartphone imaging
  • Monday, April 16, 2018 Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore interview: Sports can't be anyone's fiefdom, we need an ecosystem to nurture raw talent

Also See