Even as megastar Amitabh Bachchan claims innocence in the recent Panama Papers revelations, the alleged scandal may have caused some damage to his reputation. The Hindustan Times has quoted sources as saying that the government has put his name on hold and is considering other celebrities to be the face of the campaign.
However, Bachchan's name is not said to have been ruled out yet.
Speaking about the controversy, Bachchan had said, "I wish to reiterate that on the Panama Papers reportage..., I have not been a director on the Board of the 4 Companies as mentioned in an earlier report."
"I am happy that the GoI has instituted a thorough investigation on this issue, for, I myself am keen to know how my name appears in connection with those 4 Companies," the 73-year-old actor said.
The Congress had on Thursday demanded that Bachchan be removed as Maharashtra's ambassador for the 'Save Tiger' project and as advisor for the development of BKC's International Financial Centre after his name surfaced in the Panama Papers.
In January this year, news reports had suggested that Bachchan, along with actor Priyanka Chopra had been chosen as ambassadors for Incredible India. Bachchan was slated to replace Aamir Khan, who had been in a spot of controversy after his remarks on the debate over intolerance in India.
With inputs from PTI
Updated Date: Apr 18, 2016 22:53 PM