You are here:

Yemeni President apologises to US over embassy attack, vows protection

by   Sep 14, 2012 07:16 IST

#embassy attack   #NewsTracker   #United States   #Yemen  

Sanaa: Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi apologised to US President Barack Obama Thursday over the US embassy attack in the capital city while the toll in the clashes between protesters and security forces rose to three, Xinhua reported.

The attack in Yemen came as part of the widespread anger across the Islamic world over a US movie insulting Prophet Mohammad.

Reuters

"I do apologise to US President Barack Obama and the people of the United States for the aggressive attack on the US embassy in Sanaa," Hadi was quoted by state-run Saba news agency as saying in a statement.

"Those who carried out the attack are mobs that are not aware of the far-reaching plots of the Zionist forces, especially those who published the film insulting the Prophet," Hadi said.

The Yemeni interior ministry said in a brief statement that "all diplomatic staff of the US embassy in Sanaa had been evacuated earlier in the day to a safe place and nobody was harmed. "

Toll from hours-long clashes between angry demonstrators and security forces inside and around the US embassy rose to three -- all protesters -- and up to 30 others were injured.

IANS