AMMAN U.N. and relief agency workers saw starving people in two besieged Syrian areas where aid deliveries were made on Monday, a senior U.N. official said.
An aid convoy entered the town of Madaya, besieged by government forces, where thousands had been trapped for months without supplies and people had been reported to have died of starvation.
Yacoub El Hillo, the U.N. resident and humanitarian coordinator in Syria who was in Madaya overseeing the operation, said he had also received reports, which could not be confirmed, that at least 40 people had died of starvation.
"We have seen with our own eyes severely malnourished children. I am sure there also malnourished older people and it is true they are malnourished, and so there is starvation, and I am sure the same is true on the other side in al Foua and Kefyra," he told Reuters by phone from Madaya.
Foua and Kafyra are two mostly Shi'ite villages, besieged by rebels, that also received deliveries from Monday's convoy.
(Reporting by Suleiman Al-Khalidi; Editing by Kevin Liffey)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Published Date: Jan 12, 2016 04:46 AM | Updated Date: Jan 12, 2016 04:46 AM