Trump's choice for national security adviser has turned down offer - sources | Reuters

WASHINGTON President Donald Trump's choice for national security adviser, retired Vice Admiral Robert Harward, has turned down the offer, sources familiar with Harward's decision said on Thursday.Harward was offered the job after Michael Flynn was fired by Trump on Monday for misleading Vice President Mike Pence over his conversations with Russia's ambassador to the United States. Two sources familiar with the decision said Harward turned down the job in part because he wanted to bring in his own team.That put him at odds with Trump, who had told Flynn's deputy, K.T. McFarland, that she could stay.

Trump appeared to refer to Harward earlier in the day at a presidential news conference, saying, "I have somebody that I think will be outstanding for the position."

The president also made clear why he asked Flynn to resign on Monday, saying it was because the retired general had not been completely truthful with Pence about his conversations with the Russian ambassador to the United States, Sergei Kislyak."The thing is, he didn't tell our vice president properly, and then he said he didn't remember. So either way, it wasn't very satisfactory to me," Trump said.

(Reporting by John Walcott and Steve Holland; Editing by Eric Walsh and Peter Cooney)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.


Published Date: Feb 17, 2017 05:46 am | Updated Date: Feb 17, 2017 05:46 am


Also See