By Julia Edwards Ainsley and Steve Holland
WASHINGTON Fresh from a legal setback to his travel ban, U.S. President Donald Trump is considering signing a new executive order on immigration and is not planning to escalate the dispute over an earlier travel ban to the U.S. Supreme Court, according to media reports late on Friday. Trump's executive order banning entry to the United States by refugees and citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries was put on hold by a federal judge in Seattle last week, and that suspension was upheld by an appeals court in San Francisco on Thursday.MSNBC reported on Friday that a senior official said the Trump administration will not ask the U.S. Supreme Court to reconsider the ruling by the federal appeals court. The administration could still ask a larger panel of judges of the appeals court to reconsider the case.
The Associated Press reported that Trump said he is considering signing a new executive order.
The White House is not ruling out the possibility of rewriting Trump's Jan. 27 order in light of the court actions, an administration official said.Trump's order, which he has called a national security measure to head off attacks by Islamist militants, barred people from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen from entering for 90 days and all refugees for 120 days, except refugees from Syria, who are banned indefinitely.
(Additional reporting by Mica Rosenberg in New York, Doina Chiacu in Washington and Daniel Levine in San Francisco.; Writing by Will Dunham; Editing by Frances Kerry and Bill Rigby)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Published Date: Feb 11, 2017 04:15 AM | Updated Date: Feb 11, 2017 04:15 AM