Damascus: At least 30 civilians were killed in US-led airstrikes on the Islamic State positions in Syria's Raqqa city, a monitor group has said.
Nine women and 14 children were among those killed in the airstrikes on Monday, Xinhua news agency cited the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) as saying on Tuesday.
The Britain-based watchdog group said the toll was likely to rise as many were critically injured.
The group, however, did not mention the number of injured persons in the latest strikes.
The attack is the latest in a series of airstrikes carried out by the US-led coalition that also inflict casualties on civilians.
The Bashar-al Assad-led government has urged the United Nations to dissolve the US coalition, calling it "illegal". The Syrian government has said the US forces were committing "crimes" by killing civilians on a daily basis.
The coalition earlier this week intensified airstrikes, targeting Islamic State positions in its main stronghold in Raqqa, and killing tens of civilians.
According to the media, the US-led coalition had used white phosphorus in the attacks this week.
The US has been backing the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in their push to capture Raqqa from the Islamic State, enabling the SDF to capture 55 per cent of Raqqa following a two-month battle.
While the SDF is advancing inside Raqqa, the Syrian Army and tribal forces are fighting the extremist group in the countryside, coming close to the last Islamic State-held town of Madan in the city.
The army and allied troops have already reclaimed the western and southern countryside of Raqqa.
Published Date: Aug 10, 2017 08:00 AM | Updated Date: Aug 10, 2017 08:04 AM