Donald Trump and Rodrigo Duterte meet Monday in Manila for their first official talks, an occasion that brings together two of the most outspoken statesmen of recent years. US President Trump has revelled in his ability to shock establishment America and the former reality TV star enjoys a reputation among supporters for straight talking.
In tweets, press conferences and at campaign-style rallies, the 71-year-old has blasted "political correctness" in favour of voicing opinions popular with his base — but anathema to his liberal foes. His Philippine counterpart Duterte, who is 72, built his electoral success on crowd-pleasing pledges to rid the country of drugs and crime by killing tens of thousands of people.
Here are some notable quotes from two populist presidents whose insurgent rule has shaken their countries.
- "If they are there in your neighbourhood, feel free to call us, the police or do it yourself if you have the gun. You have my support," Duterte said at a June 2016 rally, offering advice to ordinary Filipinos on how to deal with suspected criminals.
- "If he fights and fights to the death, you can kill him. I will give you a medal."
- "There may be somebody with tomatoes in the audience. If you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them, would you? Seriously. Okay? Just knock the hell... I promise you, I will pay for the legal fees," Trump told supporters at a campaign rally in February 2016.
On the media
- "The FAKE NEWS media (failing @nytimes, @NBCNews, @ABC, @CBS, @CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!" Trump tweeted a month after being sworn in as president.
- "Just because you're a journalist, you are not exempted from assassination if you are a son of a bitch," Duterte said in June 2016, arguing that many of the reporters killed in the Philippines, one of the most dangerous nations in the world for media workers, are corrupt.
- "They raped all of the women... there was this Australian lay minister... when they took them out... I saw her face and I thought, 'Son of a bitch'. What a pity... they raped her, they all lined up," Duterte told an April 2016 campaign rally about a prison riot during his time as mayor of Davao. "I was mad she was raped but she was so beautiful. I thought, the mayor should have been first," he added.
- "I moved on her like a bitch, but I couldn't get there. And she was married," Trump told a TV host in comments that were caught on a hot mic in 2005 and emerged ahead of last year's election. "You know I'm automatically attracted to beautiful. I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything... Grab them by the pussy."
- "I have the most loyal people. I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose any voters," Trump said on the campaign trail, explaining how some of the electorate would stick with him no matter what.
- "Pardon given to Rodrigo Duterte for the crime of multiple murder, signed Rodrigo Duterte," Duterte told a crowd of businessmen just before his election, on his plans if there are attempts to bring him to justice for deaths in his drug war.
On Barack Obama
- "An 'extremely credible source' has called my office and told me that @BarackObama's birth certificate is a fraud," Trump tweeted in August 2012, at the height of the presidential race between Barack Obama and Republican Mitt Romney.
- "You must be respectful. Do not just throw away questions and statements. You son of a whore, I will curse you at that forum," Duterte said before last year's ASEAN summit in Laos, warning then-US president Obama not to criticise his drug war.
Published Date: Nov 13, 2017 10:35 am | Updated Date: Nov 13, 2017 10:35 am