BEIRUT Air strikes hit the only road into rebel-held areas of Aleppo city on Sunday in the heaviest bombardment since February, a rebel official and monitor said, jeopardising access to an area where an estimated 300,000 Syrians live.
They said Russian warplanes had carried out the attacks on the Castello road, which was still open but dangerous.
Russian and Syrian defence officials could not immediately be reached for comment. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights group said the road had been hit in a week of escalating air strikes, with Sunday's attack the most intense yet.
(Reporting by Tom Perry in Beirut and Lidia Kelly in Moscow; Editing by Mark Heinrich)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Published Date: May 22, 2016 16:46 PM | Updated Date: May 22, 2016 16:46 PM