New York: Japanese Ambassador to the United Nations Tsuneo Nishida has indicated substantive negotiations have yet to take place on how the Security Council should respond to last week's North Korean rocket launch.
Japan, the United States and South Korea on the one hand, and China on the other, "are far too divided" in their views to "sustain discussions," he told a news conference yesterday.
On the council's response to what council members believe was a missile launch banned under UN resolutions, the United States, working in concert with Japan and South Korea, is believed to be holding bilateral talks with China. There is known to be a wide discrepancy in views between Washington, which is seeking tougher sanctions against Pyongyang, and Beijing, which is reluctant to take such action.
Nishida, meanwhile, indicated that the protracted negotiations at the Security Council do not imply it will not be able to produce a strong message, saying the matter should be viewed from a comprehensive standpoint and not just whether or not a prompt decision can be made.
Other factors such as the type of document to be issued -- a presidential statement or a resolution -- as well as the contents of the document must also be considered, he suggested.
He said he would make efforts at producing "all in all something no less strong than" before in a document about the council's action.
After North Korea's previous launch in April, the council issued a presidential statement condemning the action as well as strengthening its sanctions on the country.
Published Date: Dec 21, 2012 15:48 PM | Updated Date: Dec 21, 2012 15:48 PM