Anders Breivik, who has confessed to killing 77 people in a bomb-and-shooting massacre went on trial in Norway’s capital Oslo on Monday, defiantly rejecting the authority of the court.
Breivik, dressed in a dark suit, smiled as a guard removed his handcuffs in the crowded court room. The 33-year-old then flashed a closed-fist salute, before shaking hands with prosecutors and court officials. In his testimony Breivik also said that he pleaded guilty to killing 77 people, but said he was not guilty of criminal intent. He also insisted that he acted in self defense. These are some of the most outrageous things he has said and done in court so far:
* "I don't recognize Norwegian courts because you get your mandate from the Norwegian political parties who support multiculturalism" (As he entered the Court room)
* When asked to describe his occupation Breivik said, h was a "writer", currently working from prison.
* "I acknowledge the acts but I do not plead guilty and I claim that I was doing it in self defence."
* Breivik breaks down (presumably moved to tears) during the screening of the 12-minute film he made, describing his ideology and why he chose to construct and detonate a bomb and go on a shooting rampage against 'traitors' to his cause.
The Guardian reports that The film "Knights Templar 2083" lasts for 12 minutes and 22 seconds. It is split into four sections. The entire film was shown in court.
Part 1 The rise of cultural marxism
Part 2 Islamic colonisation
Part 3 Hope
Part 4 A new beginning
* Breivik smiles to himself as the Court is shown a character he adopted in the online multiplayer role playing game World of Warcraft. He is said to have played the game "full-time" between the summer of 2006 and summer 2007.
* In February Breivik described his killing spree as "a preventative attack against state traitors", who he claimed were guilty of "ethnic cleansing" because of their support for a multicultural society.
His lawyer has said his only regret is that "he did not go further".
Published Date: Apr 16, 2012 05:48 pm | Updated Date: Apr 16, 2012 06:03 pm