Migrant crisis: Over 100,000 refugees crossed Mediterranean to enter Europe since January, says UN

Geneva: More than 100,000 migrants and refugees have made the perilous journey across the Mediterranean to Europe since the beginning of the year, and 2,247 have died trying, the United Nations (UN) said on Tuesday.

Between 1 January and 3 July, more than 85,000 migrants landed in Italy, nearly 9,300 arrived in Greece, nearly 6,500 arrived in Spain and over 270 landed in Cyprus, the UN's International Organisation for Migration (IOM) said.

While the numbers are staggering, they remain far below last year's figures. During the same period in 2016, 231,503 people made the crossing to Europe, with the 100,000-mark passed already in February that year.

UN. migrant crisis. AFP

Representational image. AFP

But at that time, most of the migrants were crossing from Turkey to Greece, and a European Union deal with Ankara in March last year effectively hit the breaks on that movement.

So far this year, Italy has meanwhile taken in nearly 85 percent of the people crossing the Mediterranean. Rome will on Thursday host an informal meeting of EU justice and interior ministers to discuss the migrant crisis.

Italy has been pushing for other European countries to open up their ports to rescue ships in order to share the burden.

IOM chief William Lacy Swing appealed Tuesday for more solidarity with Italy in handling the crisis. "The reception of rescued migrants cannot be seen as an issue only for Italy, but a matter for Europe as a whole," he said in a statement.

The UN refugee agency has also warned that Italy cannot continue absorbing the tens of thousands of migrants landing on its shores on its own.

"This is not sustainable. We need to have other countries joining Italy and sharing that responsibility," Vincent Cochetel, the agency's special envoy for the central Mediterranean, said Monday.


Published Date: Jul 04, 2017 04:01 pm | Updated Date: Jul 04, 2017 04:01 pm

Also See