Washington: President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that he had ordered more robust "extreme vetting" of travelers coming into the United States following the first deadly attack in New York blamed on terror since 11 September, 2001.
"I have just ordered Homeland Security to step up our already Extreme Vetting Program. Being politically correct is fine, but not for this!" Trump tweeted.
Last week, global airlines began implementing security interviews for US-bound travelers before checking in for flights.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of today's terrorist attack in New York City and their families," Trump said in a statement after a 29-year-old man, identified as Sayfullo Saipov, plowed a speeding truck through a busy bike path in Lower Manhattan.
"My administration will provide its full support to the New York City Police Department, including through a joint investigation with the Federal Bureau of Investigation," he said.
The president's attempts at banning travelers from several mainly Muslim nations have been met with successive legal challenges.
His administration has announced that it would resume accepting refugees after a 120-day ban, though arrivals from 11 "high-risk" countries, most of them home to Muslim majorities, will still be blocked.
Saipov, said to be from Uzbekistan, is in police custody. He was arrested after being shot in the stomach by officials of the New York Police Department.
"We offer our thanks to the first responders who stopped the suspect and rendered immediate aid to the victims of this cowardly attack. These brave men and women embody the true American spirit of resilience and courage. I will continue to follow developments closely," Trump said.
With inputs from agencies
Published Date: Nov 01, 2017 08:34 AM | Updated Date: Nov 01, 2017 08:34 AM